All data gone on My Book Studio II

Another issue with WD warranty now.

As per my original post my My Book Studio II defaulted itself suddenly 5 days after installation of Mavericks and after two dozens or so shutdowns, restarts and cold starts.

Contacted tech support on Oct 6 - case # [Deleted] and after a lot of tests and tries got the RMA# [Deleted]

WD received my drive on Oct 17

On Oct 25 I contacted tech support for the update and was told that the delay in sending the replacement is due to the lack of WDH2Q4000’s in the inventory and was offered a My Book Live Duo or the Thunderbolt one as replacement - I agreed and was put on hold for several minutes.

After several minutes on hold I was told that another WDH2Q4000 was found in “different inventory” and will be shipped to me on Monday, Oct 28.

Today, Oct 28 I checked my RMA status and it was updated with shipping info for the perlacement unit. And here is the problem:

My failed unit was purchased in May 2013 and had a warranty until May 2016 - the serial number [Deleted], you can check yourself.

The shipped replacement unit has a serial number [Deleted] with the warranty expiration date 2/25/2014 - it means it is a unit which was already used more than 2 years longer than mine. It also means that disks inside will just die very soon.

Called the support and was told that warranty on replacement unit will be extended to the same expiration date as my original unit. When asked in the replacement unit got new disks inside I was told that not, they are old ones but “recertified”. I furious about getting “recertified” disks and more than 2 years older replacement unit - I don’t care that warranty will be extended. It is not about the warranty!!

My original unit had over 1.3 TB data on it, including over 900 GB of iTunes library. Yes, I can redownload content of iTunes library, but it will take few months worth of my ISP monthly usage cap or I will pay extra charges for exceeding my cap. Not mentioning that 900+ GB will take a long time to download. And then the old, “recertified” disks inside the unit will likely die anyway. Then I will get new RMA and another “recertified” unit, who knows how old.

I expected and still expect better from WD - if the RAID controller failed in my less than 5 months old unit I expect getting a new or at least newer replacement unit, not over 2 years older!!!

Shame to WD for treating customers so badly.