8hrs to copy 1gb file on Mac / MyBookWorld II - 2TB drive

I’ve had this MyBookWorld 2 - 2TB network drive for a couple years and it’s been very reliable but about a year ago I upgraded my mac to the new OSx and the drive is now practically unusable, it takes me over 8hrs to upload a 1gb file to it, this is just crazy slow and i’ve not idea why.

I wrote to the support team and they suggested I format the drive, lets be honest we buy these drives as a backup, mine is mirrored as a failsafe and has many files on it that i’d not trust on my laptop so formatting this drive is NOT an option, neither is copying the data of to do this, i’ve got over 600GB of data on there and at this current speed i’d probably be dead before it finished copying it off, oh and i’m not that old!!!

Does anyone have any ideas of what i can do to improve this, please i’m gutted not to be able to use the way i used to!!

Setup:

15-inch, 2.53GHz, Mid 2009

Mac OSx 10.8.2

Processor: 2.53 GHz intel Core 2 duo

Memory: 4GB

My firmware is up to date however it does say there is a new one but never seems to download / install it?

Thanks

Hi, if your information is so important, then with more reason you should do a backup. You can try connecting the my book directly to the Mac to see if the problem continues, but for what you are describing the my book might be stating to fail or some of the data is corrupted.