3TB My Passport problem with iPhoto

I know this is likely an issue with the WD 3TB My Passport Pro, but it is causing me big problems with iPhoto.

The WD Passport Pro connects by Thunderbolt, and this is the root of the problem.

My laptop is a Macbook Pro, and as the name laptop implies, many times I am loading photography images onto my laptop while the computer is in the field, and the Thunderbolt cable will easily become unplugged. Please understand that as a photographer and newspaper sports writer I will load images on to my Macbook with the WD Passport Pro connected, while I am in the car. I work on deadline so if a high school football game ends at 9:30 p.m. and I have to email photos within one hour, and there is no room in the high school press box, then you work out of your car. I Have had to write many stories and email many photos from the interior of my car.

Here is the problem:

It is very easy for the Thunderbolt cable to become unplugged, and if it does while you are in iPhoto, then woe be to you.

Once that happens, you will receive an error message that the iPhoto library can not be found, and when you plug it back in, it still can not be found, you close iPhoto, close the WD My Passport Pro, and reopen both, and still get the same error messages. The only way to get back to where you need to be is to Rebuild The Database, which takes on average of 1 hour. Yes, 1 hour.

My solution when I am on the road is to disconnect the My Passport, and save my images to the MacBook, get my work done, and Rebuild The Database later. I can not store my images to my MacBook because there is not enough room on my Macbook for all my images.

Is there an iPhoto solution other than what I am doing? Sorry to be so wordy, but wanted to give you all the details and background.

Thanking you in advance.

Dan

Hello, I do not know any direct attached solution to what you are experiencing, maybe a longer cable to the passport. You could also use a passport wireless which could connect to your computer wirelessly and without any internet connection.