3 TB My Book for Mac - permission problem

Hi there – first time poster.  I recently bought a 3 TB My Book for Mac, which came already formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and I’ve only used it to back up my data from my MacBook Pro.  All of my files and folders are there on the external drive, in tact.

However, if I try to drag and drop a folder or file on the external drive into a new location – it makes a copy, instead of simply moving it.  (So, for example, when I try to move my 100GB music folder into a different folder, I get the pop-up: “Preparing to copy Music…”)  Then, when I go to delete the now-duplicated file or folder, it asks for my password (I get the pop-up “Finder wants to make changes. Type your password to allow this.”).  

I did some research, which seemed to point to changing permissions under the “Sharing & Permissions” section of the “Get Info” tab – but everything is already set to Read & Write.  Some people suggested checking the box next to “Ignore ownership on this volume” – but that didn’t seem to change anything.  

The only odd thing is that if I unmount the drive and then re-mount it again, the checkbox next to “Ignore ownership…” shows up unchecked, as if that were the default setting or something.

Any help on this would be appreciated!

Try a freeware program named “Gyula’s navigator.” It SHOULD work on a Mac. It’s great for copying/moving files, etc. Even allows you to see hidden files/folders. Be careful you don’t delete anything important.

Google for it.