Vote for VCD removal ! (permanently)

Everybody who has problems with the VCD partition (which sometimes makes the disk useless, like mine which I want to use it as a PVR in a TV decoder, as I explain in another post) please vote and ask WD to remove PERMANENTLY the VCD partition.

Just sign in and vote.

Maybe WD would finally consider to respect its customers opinion and requirements.

7 Likes

Even if they permanently remove it from future MyBook Essentials and My Passports, that won’t remove it from yours.

And since they sell drives without the VCD (that are cheaper), there’s no real reason for them to remove it.

If you want the Smartware VCD, you buy a MyBook Essentials or a My Passport; if you don’t want it you buy an Elements for less money.

Download linux gparted live cd:  http://gparted.sourceforge.net/ (latest xxx.iso file) 

Burn it to a cd. 

Start up your pc on cd. 

Then you may make/delete the disk as you want it. NTFS for windows, or another filesystem for TV-tuner. 

You may also resize partitions, and make more. 

Yes I Am Agree With Akala Bro Many Of User Face This Problem.

1st WD Put VCD Partition Without Give Much Info That What Is The Benifit and Loss Of This Futures.

2nd WD Used Defult Data Increption,(There Is No Choice To User Or Not) In All Of The MyBook Essentials or a My Passport Series New Drives. 

Its Very Useless And Chances To Lost Your Data Permenantly.

Bcoz Data Is Encrepted Permenantly Without You Knowing Wd Not Specifies In Details On The Hard Disk , Hard Disk Box, User Menual, On The Box U Just Find That  Just Drive Has Encription Future But Not Spicified That Its Compulsory By WD. 

Its Not Good To Play With Users Data.

One Of My Drive WD Studio II Suddnly Stop Working I Remove Drive From Enclosor And Check Weather There Is The Burning In PCB . I Check There Is One Chip Are Burned. Then I Check The Drive Wow I Am Happy Drive Is Very Good Condition No Damages And Work Completly Normal In My Desktop System.

But There Is No Data Display, I Try Some Data Recovery Software And Check But There Is No Data In the Disk Drive,

So I Think What Is The Issue And Very Hard Work I Found Details Here Below I Show You,

My WD Studio ll Drive Have Automatic Encription That Have No Option To Disable Or Enable In The Drive Or Smartware, When Drives Internal Part Is Ok Only That Condition You Save Your Data. If Drive Hardware Fail Like My Drive Your Data Is Lost Permenantly.Bcoz WD Says He Is Not Responsible For That.,

I Ask Then Why You Provide This Type OF Unselectable Drive Encription And Why You Play With Some One DATA(LIFE).

But Some Hard Work I Find The Cure.Here I Show What This Drive Does.

Tech Details 

On The Burnt PCB I Check There Is And *INITIO INIC1607E\ * Chip And I Find That Chip Work As A Hard Disk SATA To IDE Bridge With 256Bit AES Encription, That Mean 2 Way Data Transfer With AES Enription.

When Data Comes To Sata And Go To USB The Chip Decrept The Data And When Data Comes From USB and Go To Sata  The Chip Do Encrept The Data. And May Be The Encription Key Stored On Like VCD Partition Or in the other 3 Chip (EEP ROM) On My Bad PCB.

Then I Find The Side Of Menufactorer Of This Chip And Find The Resaller Of This Chip Here Is Site That Sale This Chip 

http://www.ic-agent.com  My 1 Chips Cost 15$ I Ordered 2 Chip And Chip Is Comes To Me I Replace The Bad Chip With New Chip And  Connect Drive Again With PCB And Wroommmm Drive Is Working Good And I Get My Data Back. I Am Lucky Guy That I Find My Almost 1.5TB Data Back With As It Is Condition. Quickly I Buy Seagate 2TB GP and  Transfer All Data From My WD and deside That I Never Use WD Drives With This Type Of Security.

Bcoz Our Data Is Our Life, I Think That IF I Am Not Technical Person And Dont Know About That Then What Happend. 

I am Computer Engg, And I Am From India.

And One Use Full Adviced To User Dont Use That Drive That Have No Choice To Disable Or Enable Ecription. And 2nd Thing All Portable Drive Dont Need This Type Of Security Bcoz Thif Dont Wait To Open Case And Thief The Drive Only He Have Not Much Time He Get Your Full Drive And Go. lol Then What Is Your Drive Encription Do That Setuation ? . 

Sorry WD Staff If You Hurt . But This Is The Fact In my And May Be Other Views.

Stop The Putting Scrap And Making Money From Data Recovery Plz Dont Play Wid your Customers.

Thanx And Bye 4ever

Plz Friend Dont Forget To Reply Me For This Solution I Provide And Sorry For My Bad English Bcoz I Am Indian Gujju.

I have the 2TB (Mac) My Book drive, which I use for my backup clones (using a different app that I like). I have no use for that VCD, and am insulted that I can only “hide” it, and not even delete it, according to the KB article on the WD site. I PAID for this drive, and I should be able to get rid of any shovelware (which should not even be there). I do not want to take the risk of changing the firmware on this disk.