USB Hard Drive with Hardware Write Protection Switch

Hello,

Back in the 3.5" 1.44 MB floppy days, one could switch a floppy into “read-only” mode, protecting the data from viruses and user mistakes.

Nowadays I moved to DVD and Blu-Ray technology for data backup. The problem is that even 25 GB Blu-Ray discs are not enough for my needs.

I am a loyal, long-term WD customer (buying lots of internal WD Green and Black caviars for Home use). 

I need USB Hard Drive with Hardware Write Protection Switch (2 TB size, for data backup).

Please consider it.

Thanks in advance,

-Technologov, 4.Nov.2011.

4 Likes

Idea revised and submitted for voting.

I wanted a drive with a write protect switch and asked about it in the external drive forum, a moderator asked me to post in the ideas section. This idea already exists here, and has not been implemented yet.

If possible, please give us a drive with a write protect switch. removing viruses from a 1TB-2TB drive takes forever, and files at times get corrupted after virus removal. A write protect switch will be awesome. It will also prevent accidental data deletion.

Don’t know how to vote so I kudo’d the original post.

I completely agree with this post.

I still have a USB stick of 1 GB with a readonly switch and I loooved it. The only reason I don’t use it any more, is because 1 GB is not a lot of storage nowadays.

In the case of the My Passport drive there may be an alternative.

When I plug in the My Passport drive, and when it’s encrypted there’s the popup box “WD Drive Unlock” that asks me for the password. That popup box has a checkbox “Enable auto unlock”. Maybe another checkbox with “Unlock in readonly mode” can be added just underneath that checkbox?

This would only be a software change and all current and new My Passport drives would have the “readonlly” feature. And am I correct that a software change is much more cost effective to implement?

I would have uploaded a photoshopped screen copy of the popup box, but I’m not sure if I can upload pictures on this forum.

If this can be considered, that would be awesome. :slight_smile:

Cheers.