USB 3.0 for My Passport Studio

I’d like to request that the new My Passport Studio 2Tb external drive’s USB 2.0 port be upgraded to a USB 3.0 one.  I’d like to buy this for use with my PC and prefer the aluminium case to the black plastic one for the My Passport 2Tb.  I’m really surprised the new Studios were released witha USB 2.0 port in the first place, since the new Intel chipsets with on-board USB 3.0 mean that it’s highly likely that the new round of MacBooks will have USB 3.0 ports.  Thanks for reading this!

4 Likes

Right ???

The MyPassport Studio is more expensive than regular MyPassport and it doesn’t even have USB 3.0 altough all Mac upgrade are coming with Ivy Bridge board and so USB 3.0 ??

Thank you for your input. We will have a USB 3.0 version of My Passport family of product introduced  for the Mac users once we have the official approval from Apple to launch USB 3.0 product in their stores.

Thanks Venom for the information. 

I guess we’ll know in June 

So the new MBP have been out for a few weeks with USB 3.0 and of course thunderbolt. So is there any news of the My Passport Studio 2Tb being upgraded to at least USB 3.0? and if so when as i need a new drive now.

i have a WD 1tb external hard disk usb3.0

It is not recognized by mine or any other pc i.e. it doesn’t appear in windows explorer. However, it appears in device manager and in disk management it shows 

Disk 1

“device not initialized”

and when i try to initialize it by any of the two options(master, gp…) it shows error

what can i do to display it in windows explorer so that atleast i can format the drive and use it in future and if possible restore the data??

I’ve asked for a MyPassport 1TB Studio with Firewire 800 and USB 3.0.

That would make it fast on old and new macs. :slight_smile: