Suggest to put Device Driver to UDF partition, and suggest add option for unlock Password

Hi,

I had brought the My Passport Essential SE (model number: WDBABM0010BBK-PESN). I had installed WD Smartware Software just for WD Drive Lock function.

After I had installed it in my computer (with locking with passport for My Passport partition), then I try to connect it to another computer (with Windows XP SP3 OS). Then appear an error message about its drivers not  found, because its driver there are in My Passport partition (in folder “…\Extras\WD SES Device Driver”), not in UDF partition, while My Passport partition is locked with a password.

To resolve this problem, here I suggest you to put its drivers to UDF partition.

I have another idea/suggest. I suggest you to add two options for unlock drive function. The options are “Unlock with WriteProtect-ON” and “Unlock with WriteProtect-OFF”.

Why I suggest it? Because we are sometimes just to copying files (from My Passport Essential) to another computer. With the WriteProtect-ON function so My Password Essential is safety for viruses.

Please apply these my suggests to the next firmware update.

Thank you.

1 Like

From the Knowledge Base:

“We recommend that you install the driver by selecting the _ Install the software automatically _ option on the popup screen. Windows will automatically find the Windows SES driver online, and the prompting will disappear. This will not affect your operating system negatively in any way.”

As long as the PC has internet access, Windows doesn’t need to be able to read the SES driver from the hard drive, whether it’s on the VCD or on the encrypted partition.

Idea submission approved for voting.