Its to darn slow

WD are you going to get with the new tech??

USB any number it to slow.  You can not put real storage in the box or you need a jet engine, earplugs and reliable AC.

What is the solution.  First a ram drive to boot from etc. and as much attached EXTERNAL storage as you can imagine connected by Intel’s new ‘Thunderbolt’ interface.  Just look at the numbers.

Secondly has anyone ever actually got the theoretical speed out of USB, Firmwire or eSATA.  NO!

Thunderbolt is a proper 2 channel bi-directional interface, designed by the guys who made your processor.

AND IT WORKS.  Just received a three disc (3*3Tb) TB drive and it flies even on my MacBook Pro and they are not known for their speed!

Discuss

7 Likes

Sounds good in 2-4 years from now after Thunderbolt becomes mainstream technology not only limited to Apple, as Intel announced that they’ll barely start to distribute development kits after the second half of this year (2011)… Just so you know, its_to_slow…

thunderbolt wont fix the speed issue, why? the harddrive is the bottleneck not the interface

its as simple as that

USB 2.0 = 48 MB/s

3.5" 7200RPM = 140 MB/s (maximum)

SATA 3Gbps (eSATA) = 300 MB/s

USB 3.0 (bi-directional )= 500 MB/s

SATA 6Gbps (eSATA) = 600 MB/s

Thunderbolt = 10,000 MB/s

and to not forget that PCI Express 2.0 x1 is 500 MB/s

so where are you getting all the speed for thunderbolt when the harddrive is still bottlenecked by its own platters

SSDs can fix this but they are expensive to produce in the same sizes as harddrives 

HI everyone!  I am new to the WD I have an Ultra passport.  Could everyone give me some pointers and insights?