4K Video - My Passport Wireless

mrgulabull wrote:

Playback of 4K video content on the My Passport Wireless, using the My Cloud App

Issue

Currently, viewing videos shot at 4K is both time consuming (requiring you to fully download the assets to the app’s local cache first), and somewhat difficult (I have to browse through the drive’s folder structure to find the videos and then download them rather than being able to download them straight through the thumbnail view).

Possible solutions

**1.) **The ideal solution would be to implement buffering of videos that have a higher bitrate than the wireless connection can sustain. This would make it quick and simple to review video without first needing to download the entire video to the local cache. Just click play, wait 10-20 seconds for the buffer to fill and then it plays smoothly.

**2.) **If your team doesn’t have the bandwidth to implement a buffer on video playback, then the next best option would be to add a ‘download’ button when viewing video thumbnails. It’s really convenient to browse through my collection of videos by viewing their thumbnails, but in order to download those videos to the cache (which is necessary with 4K videos), I have to exit the thumbnail viewer, and manually browse through the folder structure of the drive to find the video asset with the correct name, swipe to the side to bring up the context menu, then click download.

I think streamlining playback of high quality content will help a lot of high end users now and into the future as 4K content becomes even more prevalent. Thanks for your consideration!

Do you know how fast the SD transfer is? From early reports some are saying its really slow. This unit would’ve been a really good backup storage solution for videographers/photographers who are out in the field.