4 tb

Windows 8 now 10 problems.  The operating system is security oriented.   The 4TB drive shows //DOWNSTAIRS/Livingroom/ . When I take the drive up an plug it into the  USB WDTV Live cannot see the drive attached.

I added a new name on the share  //Livingroom/ and windows produced an [AUTO RUN] file that should have worked but doesn’t.

Here’s the file

[AutoRun]
action=/WDTV Livingroom
shell=WDTV Livingroom=Launch =WDTV Livingroom
shell=/WDTV Livingroom\
label==/WDTV Livingroom

I’m thinking if WDTV Live could recognzie an Auto Run file, it could see the disk when it is attached to the USB slot but, it cannot see it… I  have tried starting WD first then turning on the drive to no avail.  Then, tried turning them on togeather but to no avail.   Have changed the Windows 8.1 settings as per your last email ins truction 

So long as the 4TB drive is hooked into my computer I can see it on WDTVLive and access all the  files.

IMPORTANT: However when I add a file to a folder WD LIVE does not see the new file as it says the folder is already in the library and the choiece we had of rescanning a folder to pick up these things is no longer in the program or at least does not show up when its at tached to the computer.

This was the changes made per your instruction:

In regards to your e-mail, it is like you said, this is more of a Windows problem but for this, what you can do is to click on “Start” and open “Control Panel”. There, click on either “Network and Internet” or “Network and Sharing Center”, depending on the type of View. After you’re in “Network and Internet”, you can select “Network and Sharing Center”.

In “Network and Sharing Center”, on the panel to the left side the last option should read “Change Advanced Sharing Settings”. Open that. On the “Home or Work” area, set the settings as follow:

-Network Discovery - On

-File and Printer Sharing - On

-Public Folder Sharing - On

-Media Streaming - On

-File Sharing Connections - 128-bit Encryption is fine.

-Password Protected Sharing - OFF

I need some serious help here to do one of two things.

1. WDTV can access metadata files when drive is hooked to the network (computer)

2. WD TV can see the drive when it is plugged into the USB on WD.

and a third:

Desperately need the “rescan” option back on my menu it is very important.