Will the WD1002FAEX work on my motherboard (ASRock 755Dual-VSTA)?

SalsaNChips wrote:

Greetings, first post.

I have four of the WD1002FAEX drives on a new home build, running off an ASUS P6X58D Premium mb, using the integrated Intel ICH10R RAID controller. The ASUS mb also has a Marvell 9128 (non-RAID) controller that does SATA III @ 6 GB/sec, but after some research I determined running these drives in a SATA II vs SATA III makes absolutely NO difference performance-wise since they can’t even approach the difference in available transfer rates between the two SATA specs. So, it didn’t make sense to run the as stand-alone drives when I had 6 ports of perfectly good SATA II Intel RAID available.

Have them set up in a RAID 10 config (2 TB) under Windows 7 64-bit using Intel RST v9.6. Performance-wise, it rocks. HOWEVER…

I have seen two instances of Intel RST going into “rebuild” mode on drives in the array. Yesterday I found out about the “TLER” issue with the other Caviar Black 1TB drives (SATA II spec). I am *really* hoping that is not the case with these drives as well because I am into them for over $400.00. Really wish WD would more clearly differentiate RAID vs non-RAID capable drives in their marketing (grrr).

The WD1002FAEX drives are not RAID Edition drives.  We do differentiate between RAID and non-RAID drives.  Our RAID Drives are called Enterprise drives.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/index.asp?cat=2