Will the WD1002FAEX work on my motherboard (ASRock 755Dual-VSTA)?

I have the ASRock 775Dual-VSTA motherboard, with the VIA VT8237A chipset.

Will the WD1002FAEX drive work on this board, or will I need to set some jumpers? Can I limit this drive to SATA rev. 1.0 (SATA 1.5Gb/s), if needed, via jumpers?

I think the lowest you can go is sata2 3.0 and you do it by using jumpers 5&6 on the drive. you may loss a little speed using the old sata 1.0 but it will work though. But you can test it with both settings and see how much it effects you. I’m betting you won’t see a huge decrease though.

Thanks :slight_smile: I think I will be able to get it to work.

I have previously managed to get a Samsung EcoGreen F2 1.5TB (HD154UI) HDD to work, without limiting it to SATA rev. 1.0 (1.5 Gb/s).

So, I may just have to limit WD1002FAEX to SATA rev 2.0 (3.0 Gb/s) via jumpers 5&6 and hope for the best. I don’t really mind about the any possible speed loss, as long as it works.

I found this page , but it needs updating becuase there is no link for the WD1002FAEX jumper settings yet :frowning:

Now, just to decide if this drive is worth the premium over other 1 TB drives, when it will be running in my old system. I suppose I could always keep it when I upgrade the rest of the components -  Core i7 FTW :slight_smile:

I’ll hopefully remember to post back here if I do get the drive, and let you know if works as expected…

Honestly if you don’t need the sata2 6.0, then i wouldn’t buy it then. As it cost about $40 + dollars for that feature. And if you can’t use it then i would take the money and buy some with out the feature and raid them. As another $40 with the extra $40 you saved ont he not needed sata2 6.0 feature you can have 2 1 terabyte drives.

As mentioned before there isn’t anything breath taking in performance between sata2 3.0 vs sata2 6.0.

Greetings, first post.

I have four of the WD1002FAEX drives on a new home build, running off an ASUS P6X58D Premium mb, using the integrated Intel ICH10R RAID controller. The ASUS mb also has a Marvell 9128 (non-RAID) controller that does SATA III @ 6 GB/sec, but after some research I determined running these drives in a SATA II vs SATA III makes absolutely NO difference performance-wise since they can’t even approach the difference in available transfer rates between the two SATA specs. So, it didn’t make sense to run the as stand-alone drives when I had 6 ports of perfectly good SATA II Intel RAID available.

Have them set up in a RAID 10 config (2 TB) under Windows 7 64-bit using Intel RST v9.6. Performance-wise, it rocks. HOWEVER…

I have seen two instances of Intel RST going into “rebuild” mode on drives in the array. Yesterday I found out about the “TLER” issue with the other Caviar Black 1TB drives (SATA II spec). I am *really* hoping that is not the case with these drives as well because I am into them for over $400.00. Really wish WD would more clearly differentiate RAID vs non-RAID capable drives in their marketing (grrr).

SalsaNChips wrote:

Greetings, first post.

I have four of the WD1002FAEX drives on a new home build, running off an ASUS P6X58D Premium mb, using the integrated Intel ICH10R RAID controller. The ASUS mb also has a Marvell 9128 (non-RAID) controller that does SATA III @ 6 GB/sec, but after some research I determined running these drives in a SATA II vs SATA III makes absolutely NO difference performance-wise since they can’t even approach the difference in available transfer rates between the two SATA specs. So, it didn’t make sense to run the as stand-alone drives when I had 6 ports of perfectly good SATA II Intel RAID available.

Have them set up in a RAID 10 config (2 TB) under Windows 7 64-bit using Intel RST v9.6. Performance-wise, it rocks. HOWEVER…

I have seen two instances of Intel RST going into “rebuild” mode on drives in the array. Yesterday I found out about the “TLER” issue with the other Caviar Black 1TB drives (SATA II spec). I am *really* hoping that is not the case with these drives as well because I am into them for over $400.00. Really wish WD would more clearly differentiate RAID vs non-RAID capable drives in their marketing (grrr).

The WD1002FAEX drives are not RAID Edition drives.  We do differentiate between RAID and non-RAID drives.  Our RAID Drives are called Enterprise drives.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/index.asp?cat=2