Which drive for Synology NAS?

Right now i have a Synology DS212 containing 2 * 3TB green drives.  I want to buy the new NAS DS214 with 2 * 3TB disks. Disks in DS212 are running in RAID1 mirror. In the Product Selector of WD they recommend the RED series. In the knowledge base Answer ID 996 they recommend the blue, green or black series for small raid0 en raid1. Not the red series. In my situation the black serie would be the best (warranty). Right or wrong?

The Black drives do have a longer warranty, as do the RE  and SE Enterprise drives. This page at Synology states that most WD drive series are compatible. The site does not seem to list the DS214 yet. I assume that it is fan-cooled like the 213. Heat would be my main concern for 7200 rpm drives. I have to suppose that error correction time-outs are not an issue with these Synology units. Some RAID setups can have drop-outs if error correction in a drive takes too long. The NAS and RAID designed WD drives (Red, SE, RE) have time limited error correction (TLER) which avoids this issue. However, the Synology list seems to imply that it is not an issue, so the FAEX Black drives should be fine.

Hi and welcome, in your case I would go with the WD Red, check the link below for more information. I was checking the compatibility list for the WD Red and the DS213/DS213+ are compatible. Since the DS214 is a new model, it’s not part of the list yet. 

Difference between Desktop edition (WD Blue, WD Green and WD Black) and RAID (Enterprise) edition drives

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=810

I certainly endorse Red drives in this situation. Their power consumption can be lower than even Green drives, meaning cooler running. I currently have two 3TB Reds running in a My Book Live Duo which is strictly passive cooling.