WDC WD10S12X-55JTET0 Driver leak

Hi

I recently purchased a VAIO SVF15N17CXB laptop which features a WDC WD10S12X-55JTET0 hybrid hard drive, i just saw that memory usage is about 4 GB out of 8GB of RAM but couldn't find any program related to high Memory usage so i began searching through internet i found a program named "poolmon.exe" from Microsoft driver kit witch could show me system pool information, i found out that a pool tag "ECMC" is taking about 2GB of none paged memory of the system, when i used the command "findstr /s ECMC *.sys" i understood the it is related to "hiosd.sys" in System32 folder and is related to program "WD Boost" which is related to SSHD drives produced by Western Digital,

poolmon screenshot:

By removing the program WD boost and a reboot, the system memory does not rise more then 2GB from boot but installing the manufacturer included WD boost makes memory usage high on, i tried to use the most recent version of "WD boost" but installation fails and problem is there still!!

i described SONY support my problem and they told me it is not SONY related and i should submit a help request in WD,

let me help this memory leak

Have you contacted WD Support about this?

You can do so by email or phone.

http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?wdc_lang=en

Hello,

Do you have any updates about your case?

I have similar problem with MSI GP70 notebook using WD10J13T-22C9UT0 hybrid hard drive.

Initial WD Boost driver took 2,5 GB of RAM and after update to the newest version it takes 2 GB (slight improvement).

I wrote about it to WD support, but they have not found any solution yet.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this problem?

No not yet.

SONY told me to send the laptop back for repair but we all know they cant fix this. so i didn’t send it back. WD told me it is an OEM version according to model number so SONY is at charge not WD … idk if someone will accept the responsibility here… the only good thing for you is that you can install the new version! but i can’t getting error: “Internal error occurred, Completion code: 83”

can you test a few things?!

use your memeory as much as you can and see if the NPP size decreases as you use more amount of RAM i did i my self after ending the process with high memory usage i only had the usage of 2GB (sth normal),

also removing the WD Boost solves the RAM issue but … where is our performance then?!

Hi,

Sorry for late reply.

Do not bother sending your notebook to Sony, or Western Digital - it won’t help.

I was exchanging emails with Western Digital Support for months - sending them detailed description of the problem, reporting how different driver versions work and asking for support. It took for them like a week to give reply for each of my emails giving me no help at all. Eventualy they decided that they redirect the case to super special “Level 2 department” which will be able to handle this problem with extra tools. “Level 2 department” supposed to contact me within a few days, but no one has ever contacted me.

Now I know that all this was a delaying tactic and playing the fool.

How do I know that? Because eventually MSI support has answered my question concerning WD Boost. Within two working days they have established what follows:

2014-02-20 5:07 GMT+01:00, MSI OCSS msihelp@msi.com:

Ticket: WD BoostContent: Dear Customer,

I got the answer from WD who inform us it is normal.Because WD Boost driver
has three caching tiers (HostCache System DRAM -> SSHD Flash Storage
-> SSHD Disk Storage) to optimize overall system performance. Host
caching will dynamically allocate/de-allocate system memory in response to
application demands. Thanks!

So I wrote to WD Support email where I pasted the above quotation and described my email exchange with MSI. I was asking WD Support if what MSI wrote me is true and why it takes a few months to establish something that MSI did in two days.

I was waiting and waiting and waiting… and after more than two weeks they send me this:

WD Boost is used for unlocking the 1TB portion of the drive.
If you can please provide a screen shot of the WD Boost Service
that is running that would be great.

A “screen shot of the WD Boost Service”… “that is running”… yeah, right.

I do not want to tell this, but it seems that there are no competent people in WD Support, just some kind of… I do not want to name it. Maybe this is just their politics to play fool with their clients.

OK, the conclusion.

What we can do about it:

• we can return the notebooks to their producers because email from MSI clearly stated that we have been cheated. I have been buying notebook with 8 GB of RAM, not “8 GB minus 2 GB for handling hard drive” about what MSI forgot to inform their customers in their ads. The same applies the Sony notebook you own.

• never never ever buy anything what comes from Western Digital.

• on whatever forum I find (concerning WD products) I describe this history with warning about not buying WD Black and avoiding all the products of this company because they a flawed and there is no support for it whatsoever. I would suggest you do the same and warn other people.

I wish you luck and hope you will get your money back.

Hello,

I want to purchase this drive, is that the only place where I can buy it  http://www.harddrivesforsale.com/wd10s12x-55jtet0.html ? I want this model for Sony laptop (different model than @navidnouri) BTW are they reliable?

Thanks

RegularUser73 wrote:

Hello,

I want to purchase this drive, is that the only place where I can buy it  http://www.harddrivesforsale.com/wd10s12x-55jtet0.html ? I want this model for Sony laptop (different model than @navidnouri) BTW are they reliable?

Thanks

You can find a list of our authorized retailers on the link bellow.

http://www.wdc.com/en/buy/

Try to check if they currently have the model you are looking for.

So you can try s*agate recovery company… wish you the best hope you can have your 2 gb back. And I want a drive like that if you trow it to the garbish lol say where it is :stuck_out_tongue:

I encounted same issue

WD Black SSHD + WD Boost.

I edit registory.reduce commit charge

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\hiosd\Params\DisableDramCache set to 1

hisod does not use non-paged pool and then use of ram

but,hiosd return allcated non-paged-pool to system when free memory is low.

hiosd is express cache.please read blow link or execute memory allocation tool

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Any-Documentation-of-ExpressCache/td-p/1040355

1 Like

I just wanted to throw out another option here.  I followed sabinekonya recommendation of altering the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\hiosd\Params\DisableDramCache set to 1

I didn’t really like the idea of eliminating the cache all together though.  I noticed that there is a key for

MaxDramCacheSizeMB64    

and

MaxDramCacheSizeMB32

All I did was edit this value from 800 to 100.  I believe those are probably percentages of the DramMinRequredSizeMB key, but I don’t know for sure.  What I do know is that dropping the registry value down to 100 changed the max dram cache size to 256 MB, which I feel is much more manageable and still acceptable for the software and hardware to function normally.  After a reboot, my system is only using 1.35 GB of Ram opposed to the previous 3 GB of Ram.  I have been running it like this for a couple of days now and haven’t noticed any negative impact.  My boot time is still great, which tells me the hardware is functioning as it should be. 

If you want to take this route, all you have to do is:

type regedit  into windows search or ‘new task (run…)’ in the task manager.

Navigate to the registry key location for your os type (32 or 64 bit):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\hiosd\Params\MaxDramCacheSizeMB32

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\hiosd\Params\MaxDramCacheSizeMB64    

Double click on your os type’s key, and alter the “Value data” field to an acceptable level. 

I used 100, which equates to 256 MB of ram (for 64 bit), 200 would be 512 MB, and so on.  Originally it was set to 800 which was 2 GB of ram, and in my opinion way too much considering these drives were designed for use in mobile applications with fewer resources than a desktop. 

Note:  If you are not comfortable with making changes to your registry, then do not follow these steps.  I would also suggest performing a registry backup before making any changes, just in case you wreck your machine.  I really don’t want to be blamed for someone bricking their laptop. 

Hope this helps. 

i kown hiosd prams list

DramMaxUsagePct is parcentage of system ram

MaxDramCacheSizeMB64  is maxiume dram cache size on x64

MaxDramCacheSizeMB32  is maxiume dram cache size on x32

PassThrough is on → clear ssd cache and disabled hiosd

dram cache size = system ram size * DramMaxUsagePct /100

(can not over MaxDramCacheSizeMB64 or MaxDramCacheSizeMB32)

you can look wd boost infomation by typing “hiosd -info” on command prompt

What other drive and/or caching settings are affected under Windows?  Specifically, I found out that if I go into Device Manager, Disk Drives, and see the Properties for the WD10S12X, on the Policies page “Enable write caching on the device” is checked, just as with any HDD; however “Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing on the device” is also checked for my SSHD (but it has never been enabled for this drive before installing WDBooost, AFAICR), so now I’m wondering what the default for a clean WDBoost installation is, and if my current settings are correct.

I’m asking because I have experienced some strange issues after installing WDboost, such as if I boot under Safe Mode and delete some files, these files resurrect when I boot again in Normal Mode just like they were never deleted.  This suggests that somehow changes are not being committed correctly to the disk, maybe because (1) Windows write-cache buffer flushing is disabled, or (2) that Windows is pulling the deleted files again through WDBoost from SSHD cache during normal boot without synchronizing the deletions (and possibly any other disk I/O transaction) performed onto disk platters under Safe Mode (i.e. WDBoost is not intelligent enough as to notice the last boot was not a Normal Boot in order to invalidate the cache contents and read everything from platters to repopulate the cache with consistent data).

So, another question arises:  how should a WDboost user proceed in order to avoid filesystem inconsistencies when there is need of booting in Safe Mode?

Thanks in advance,

M

I find it funny that a WD person replies within one day when someone says they want to buy a drive, but it’s been MONTHS for these questions to be answered, and nobody from WD replied…