WD40EFRX Stalling Issue

A few months ago I bought a WD40EFRX-68WT0N0 (4tb Red drive) to use for a media server for my DVDs. I ran the diagnostic tests, formatted the drive, etc on it before I loaded it up to make sure the drive wasn’t bad. All went well and the drive is still in perfect health, but I’ve been having an issue where while I’m watching a movie, every so often the movie will stall like the drive simply stopped spinning and I need to wait for it to spin back up before it will continue playing the movie. Even then I have to manually move the timeline on the player to get video working again where it stalled out.

I’ve been told the issue might be that it’s going into a sleep mode but it shouldn’t be doing that while a video is playing. Was suggested that I turn off idling in windows but I don’t want all 6 of my HDDs constantly spinning when not in use. Any idea what could be going on and how I can fix it?

Specs:

Windows 8.1

Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz

12.0GB Triple-Channel DDR3

2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

Movies attempted to play in both Media Player Classic and VLC with same results

Hello, 

Since the problem could be happening with the files that are being played, due to data corruption, I recommend you to run a DLG test.

How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/940/session/L3RpbWUvMTQwNzAxMzYxMy9zaWQvTVFpWWpTLWw%3D

Also check the sleep mode settings on the computer just in case.

Did both a quick test and the standard test. Both passed fine with no issues.

Windows has it set to put the drives to sleep after 20 minutes of inactivity. The thing with this is, it should be actively reading the VOB files as the movie plays which keeps the drive active and preventing it from going into sleep mode. I could change it so that the drives don’t go into sleep mode but unfortunately, Windows doesn’t give me the option to only prevent a single drive from sleeping which means all my drives would be constantly spinning. I do know that my black drives never had this issue when I used them to store my movies on which is the real cause for confusion in this issue.