WD4003FZEX Black-4TB clicking when idle

I’ve had this WD4003FZEX (Black 4TB) for about 3 weeks now, and I’ve noticed just recently (or it recently just started) that there is a strange clicking noise every 4-5 seconds, continously. It occurs when the drive is powered up and idle (BIOS or windows doesn’t seem to make a difference). It doesn’t sound like anything like a drive failure click, it’s a soft sound lasting less than 0.5 seconds, similar to the sound a drive makes when reading/writing data.

I’ve run tests using the WD Lifeguard tool with the Extended Test and it came back PASSED. I also did some checks with HDTune and everything seemed ok. So what’s the deal, should I be RMAing this drive? It doesn’t make the noise when active - only when idle.

Also one more thing, I noticed this drive is very noise when reading data - It feels twice as noisy as my other drives (2TB Green, 1TB green and a 1TB Seagate) and it can be easily heard over everything else combined. Is this model just THAT noisy normally?

Thanks!

Welcome to the Community.

The following article should be able to provide some general guidance with regards to acceptable/normal hard drive noise:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/568/

Fortunately the problem seems to have cleared itself up, or at the very least it doesn’t seem to be doing it all the time. Performance and health are all 100% OK, so for now I will hold onto this drive. But I would still like to figure out what the deal is with the strange noises.

I’m running it on a ASUS B85 motherboard.

Hey I have the exact same problem with the exact same hard drive.

I’ve tried plugging it into a different SATA port with no change. I loaded it with just power and not plugged into the SATA port. Still makes the clicking sound.

It only does it while idle. If your accessing the drive the clicking stops. The drive does make a lot of noise when used. Like when you scan the drive for virsuses.

I ran a Check Disk from windows and it says no problems found. According to Intel Rapid Storage Technology the drive is healthy.

I just want to know is your drive still functioning and healthy?