WD20EARX-00PASB0 gets confused when put into an array

Additional information here:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7176160.html

I have one of these drives with a strange issue.  When put into a RAID 5 array using mdadm, the drive will become confused when data is written to it.

More specifically, I can (and have) written data to it and read it back confirming contents all day.  Once the drive isn in an array, it will stop functioning correctly.  I can write some data to the array, but the drive will quickly begin returning errors, causing mdadm to kick it out.  If it is a complex write (such as filesystem data), the drive will fail out in a matter of seconds.  If it is a simple write (just dumping random data into the array from the beginning) it will take longer.

In comparison two other drives with the same model but different sub-model are working perfeclty:

WD20EARX-008FB0

This seems to be a new sub-model; have others had success or similar failure with it?  I am trying to decide if i should order a replacement of the same model or look elsewhere.

The firmware might not work well with that raid card

try using raid enabled drives and not this model

Do you consider a motherboard’s onboard SATA controller to be a RAID card?  It may be easy to assume that just because I am constructing a RAID array that I am using a RAID card, however this is not the case.

This is the motherboard in use:
http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5N32E_SLI/#specifications

The SATA controller is in native AHCI mode, no RAID functionality is enabled.  As far as I am aware, there is no hardware RAID controller on the board, just the BIOS-assisted software raid which no-one should use IMHO.

Additionally, the firmware revisions appeared to be the same across all four drives.  Do you think that a hardware revision without a firmware revision could have caused this issue, and the drive was indeed faulty?

I am still unsure that RAID-enabled drives will make a difference here.  What differences other than TLER are present in, for example, a WD Red branded drive which you seem to be pushing me to purchase?

I know that WD Green drives will like to go to sleep often, however in these tests the drive never had a chance to spin down.