WD20 EZRX does not complete format

I have had this drive in an external enclosure for about a year. Recently it kept vanishing from Windows explorer until I turn the enclosure off and back on, then I hept getting a message that I needed to format the drive. I copied all the files to another drive and attempted to format the drive. It runs for some time and returns the message that it could not complete the format.

It shows in Disk Management as Active Partition but as Raw, the WD software does not find the drive.

Is there any way I can force a format on this drive, even if it is a low level format? I would like to be able to keep the drive if it has not failed, even when the vanishing problem started SMART showed the drive as being in good condition.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Gerald

Hi Warmbell,

Can you try the drive outside of the enclosure? If the drive is passing SMART, it is possible that you may have a bad enclosure.

Hi,

thanks for the reply. I have two Buffalo 2 bay enclosures, I have tried the drive in both bays of both enclosures with the same results.

Gerald

Can you try to format the drive inside your computer on the SATA connector? With the drive still inside of an enclosure it could be causing a problem. You could also try using the Data Lifeguard Diagnostics (DLG) software to do a write zeros on the drive. This will wipe it clean and test for errors, then you can try formatting it.

The DLG software below is listed under a WD Black but it should work on any drive.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=613&sid=3&lang=en

Hi,

Tried the drive in both our PCs with the same result of not finishing the format, recognised by both machines ans show up in explorer. The DLG software does not find the drive. It loks like the drive might have failed completely.

Gerald

Yeah, it does sound like it failed unfortunately.

If the drive is under warranty I included a link below on how to setup an RMA to replace it.

How to get an RMA to replace a defective product

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8

Thank staff! I have problem like him. I will try to follow your advice.