WD10EFRX SMART-errors but status is OK

I’m using a Synology DS1512+ NAS which is two months old and has five brand new WD10EFRX-68JCSN0 disks (Power_On is now at 57 days). Since one week I am getting a warning from the Synology OS (DSM 4.1-2647) that I should replace Disk-2 because the S.M.A.R.T.-test found some errors. The SMART-status indeed is Abnormal, also after repeating the extended test.

When I examine the SMART-information however, all status-fields are OK. Comparing the SMART-info of Disk-2 with the other, good disks the problem seems to be in the next two raw values:

001 Raw_Read_Error_Rate:  value 200, worst 200, tresh 051, status OK, raw 1

200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate:  value 200, worst 200, tresh 000, status OK, raw 1

The other -good- disks show exactly the same values but with a raw value 0. The error-count (or raw-value) hasn’t changed since the warning appeared last week.

All other SMART-indicators (like Realocated Sectors, Spin Retry etc.) are also OK with perfect values (200 or 100), well above the tresholds; on all disks. As said, the only difference between the abnormal Disk-2 and the other, normal disks is in the two raw-values stated above.

As both the value- and worst-indicators are still at a healty 200 and the status is OK, I wonder if I really should replace the Disk-2. Could it be that the DSM-software is warning me prematurely, e.g. because it is misinterpreting the raw-values ? I guess I could not replace/RMA the disk under warranty because all SMART-indicators/values are OK.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hans_NL wrote:

As both the value- and worst-indicators are still at a healty 200 and the status is OK, I wonder if I really should replace the Disk-2. Could it be that the DSM-software is warning me prematurely, e.g. because it is misinterpreting the raw-values ? I guess I could not replace/RMA the disk under warranty because all SMART-indicators/values are OK.

Any advice would be appreciated.

You can replace the drive if you want

it does not have to be a dead fish for WD to replace it

bare in mind that it will be replaced with a recertified unit

if you want to try another test software you can also try that

I would just replace and get a good drive in the RAID setup

Thanks. I will follow your advise and contact my reseller for RMA. But I still wonder why the Synology DSM-software is reporting a bad (abnormal) disk when the SMART-status is OK and the normalized values/worst are at a flawless level: 200. As far as I understand SMART you should not look at the raw values but at the normalized ones.

Forum-member Europower  seems to have the same problem (topic: SMART values 01 and C8 going up): the raw-values for x01 (001) and xC8 (200) are increasing but the normalized SMART-values and SMART-worst are still at a healthy 200/status OK. Officially you should only look at the normalized values, indicating the disk is OK. But the raw-values indicate the disk is *NOT* OK and the OS indeed complains about it.