WD10EARS in windows 7 : works but not recognized as a WD drive

Hello,

Like (many ?) other people, I’m having some problems with my Advanced Format 1 TB Caviar Green drive (WD10EARS) on Windows 7, 64 bits.

It seems that running the WD Align software has improved the transfer rate (I had used GParted to patition and format my disk).

But I’m actually not really satisfied (it’s still slow when OS is writing many file, as no cache is used), and there is still something strange :

When I go in the Device Manager of Windows 7, I open the “Disk Drive” section and I only find a “Disk Drive” subsection for which I can open the properties (and for example to manually enable/disable disk write caching). “WD10EARS” doesn’t appear there or it seems it should.

In the same time, the “Acronis True Image WD Edition” 's installer doesn’t recognise my disk as a WD (so it doesn’t want to install).

Moreover, I ran SiSoftware SANDRA and it doesn’t found any cache for my disk, although disk write caching is enabled.

So it seems that Windows 7 doesn’t recognize totally my hard drive (or simply doesn’t have the dedicated driver).

Does anyone have some solution to this ?

Thank you !

I hope my my problem and my English are enough understandable.

I’m searching the web for days, I’ve tried many things but it begins to be too long to find a solution…

Instead of running align, you may want to do a fresh OS install on the drive using windows to format it (blank out the drive by writing zeros to it, and it will be just like a brand new drive). Windows 7 had no issues with any of the ones I threw at it. If you let windows (7 or vista only) format it, you shouldn’t need to run align either.