WD10EARS 1TB Drama

This is to continue my topic from here.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Desktop-Portable-Drives/RMA-Questions/td-p/499378

I bought my Green drive a year ago roughly.

It did not want to be detected by the bios at startup

i struggled for days trying to figure out why and the only solution

i came up with was trying different sata ports on my EVGA 680i mobo.

Re-inserting the cable was the only thing that seemed to help.

So for about 6 nonths after that i didn’t have too many issues (that i was aware of or remember)

Anytime i have taken the PC apart to clean it i have to go through the detection issues again.

And recently went through this again.

I’m not sure how far back this has been going on but i have had recent nvstor64 errors and warnings

( nvstor64 = Nvidia x64 Sata Driver for Win 7) The windows deafult drivers didn’t make any difference

because i could see stuttering when playingg videos when the warnings would show up in event viewer

or during benchmarks in HD Tune Pro etc…

Ok so I’m pretty sure the actual errors in the event viewer from me plugging in the cable badly

i was trying on a slight micro angle and rebooting… and i ended up taking the metal clip of the sata connector that plugs into the mobo female slot (it doesn’t click into place and is ULTRA tight) I’m not sure I’m getting a good connection to the port on the mobo :confused:

I also tried with an alternate cable.

StarTech Red “Angled” Cable

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2652060&CatId=5444

XION Black Cable (1 normal and 1 with metal parts i broke off)

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4655847&CatId=5444

So I think the event viewer disk related errors were because of my cable experiments…

Things seem fine now for me on port 6. Havn’t had an error since i cleaned my pc a week ago.

But i had still been struggling with event viewer nvstor64 warnings (the one that comes up LOTS)

Here is some of the error messages (note there was a LOT more but purged after a week)

• Error: nvstor64: ID 3 (9 times in 7days)

Data error on device.
 Device: \Device\RaidPort1
 Model: WDC WD10EARS-003BB1
 Firmware Version: 80.0
 Serial Number:      WD- 
 Port: 1

• Error: Disk: ID 7 (9 times in 7days)

The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.

• Error: Disk: ID 11 (53 times in 7days)

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1.

• Warning: Disk: ID 51 (3in 7 days)

An error was detected on device .…\DR6 during a paging operation.

• Warning: nvstor64: ID 129 (2 times in 7days)

Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.

• Warning: nvstor64: ID 8 (9,802 times in 7days) ← YES nine thousand times LOL

A request to this device has been cancelled.
 Device: \Device\RaidPort1
 Model: WDC WD10EARS-003BB1
 Firmware Version: 80.0
 Serial Number:      WD- 
 Port: 1

So i don’t think I did things in the best order before so i started again trying to diagnose / repair.

HD Tune Pro gave smart warning about pending sectors and a full scan gave like 23 errors.

After that i ran chkdsk on windows 7 (with recheck sector) i created a shortcut with this…

C:\Windows\System32\chkdsk.exe c: /v /b /x

And you know what unknown person reading this ? lol

As i type this out i just realised i have never ran that command on the 2nd partition !

I have my drive split up into 2 chunks + the hidden small partition for Bitlocker encryption stuff.

Ok so i tried doing things in a better order so what i did next was chkdsk that says it fixs stuff every time

as seen in the CBS/Windows log file. actually i didn’t look at th elog this last time lol

Next i ran sfc -scannow and then lastly i launch DLGDiag v5.19 from DOS and 3.5 hrs later

it finally gave me a message other than code 0 no errors found like i has said every time since i bought the drive and used the tool. what it said this time was Errors found AND repaired (i was not prompted)

This page has infor about the codes…

http://support.wdc.com/techinfo/general/errorcodes.asp?lang=en#v10

Oh and that was after a LONG version test. I did a short test before and after also both gave me code 0.

I booted up windows probably 5 hrs ago and so far not a single event about th drive at all and various HDD tools are readong 0 errors on smart values and the performance is great (good as can be on a Green drive lol)

So now I’m wondering if/when the drama starts again lol

Anyone else have experience with code 223 on a green drive ?

I think there is something wrong with the Green drives there is way too many topics for them…

Anyone have any thoughts on my wall o text ?

Hi, dude that sounds like a hard drive that just needs to be replaced. :wink: Check the link below for the steps.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8/session/L3RpbWUvMTM1MjIzMTA1My9zaWQveDhsQUZDYWw%3D

sigh… yeah i know…

after the last batch of stuff i said i got no errors or warnings in anyway way with anything

including scandisk, checkdisk, DLGdiag (not a single error or warning in teh event viewer related to HDD’s)

and then the expected happened…

I was surfin around on Firefox while watchin TV on WMC and i loaded up Chrome and clicked search on a web site and the whole PC froze except the mouse and ctrl/alt/del wouldn’t do anything… maybe 15 minutes later i hit my reset button and it failed loading up Win 7.

So off i went into the Hirens Boot USB stick i set up and started with a DLGdiag quick scan = code 0

i ran the newest version of test disk and could see no partitions issues. and kept going through tons of tools and found nothing out of the ordinary. so a tried a few more times to reboot and all i get was a black screen with a blinking cursor AFTER my bios posted… (i also verified data in the bios multiple times)

Whats weird is teh Hirens main screen has an option to load whatever drive is 80h (your first drive)

and if i tried to load through that rather than the blinking cursor i would get a windows screen i have never seen in my life and i have been fixing machine for over a decade (so i thought i’d seen it all lol)

What it was is some kind of message that looks like when you hit F8 for the safe mode boot screen options but it gave me some message about there was an IO error on a USB device and that i should check out my hardware or some useless stuff liek that and then two options restart and cancel both or soemthing and both just made the machine reboot and go back to that screen over and over…

So out came the windows disc.

Startup repair i figured.

…nope lol

No OS detected (i bet it was that 100mb Bitlocker partition corrupted or something)

I tried to launch setup over top of my old windows install and that failed too.

At that point i was done. forget it …time to go get my MAXTOR hard drive :slight_smile:

Install… done… no problems.

So far i have 1 week sector reported in smart monitor software (for WD drive) and i have not done

more extensive scanning… i’m tired of putting my machine out of commision to do 4hr scans over n over!

Only to be back at square one again.

I KNEW it was comin too lol

Now if i could only figure out what i’m going to do to back up my 1TB of data so i can maybe RMA it.

I have an old 120gb WD drive that works better than my new-ish 1TB green drive LOL

and a 220gb Maxtor drive and last time i went through all this i used up most of a 50 pack of DVD’s

burning my data to re-install a failed windows install format (when you get an error while formatting 1 of 3 partitions its like getting a 700gb punch in the face - yeah i got the partition fixed but…)

So yeah i am screwed :frowning:

And NO i would NOT reccomend anyone buy a WD Green drive ever !

Look around this forum and its obvious the thing(the whole line) is garbage !

And i may not bother with WD again either. How many topics do i have to read in here

that have people with new “Green” drives do i have to read where everyone just gets told do an RMA ?

The last one i read the guy had teh drive for 3 days !

And i’m pretty sure my problems started on day 1.

So forgive me if I’m skeptical about PAYING MONEY to send back my drive for a possibly

refurbished GREEN drive so i can probably just go through all of this again right away or in a while.

What’s the likely hood i’m gonna get back a ““working”” Green drive and not have problems ?

Pretty sad and pathetic my Western Digital WD1200JB (that i will need for backup) works better than my fancy new 1TB sata drive !

And the WD1200JB has date code Nov 27 2004 on the sticker …what does that tell ya guys