WD10EARS 1TB Drama

sigh… yeah i know…

after the last batch of stuff i said i got no errors or warnings in anyway way with anything

including scandisk, checkdisk, DLGdiag (not a single error or warning in teh event viewer related to HDD’s)

and then the expected happened…

I was surfin around on Firefox while watchin TV on WMC and i loaded up Chrome and clicked search on a web site and the whole PC froze except the mouse and ctrl/alt/del wouldn’t do anything… maybe 15 minutes later i hit my reset button and it failed loading up Win 7.

So off i went into the Hirens Boot USB stick i set up and started with a DLGdiag quick scan = code 0

i ran the newest version of test disk and could see no partitions issues. and kept going through tons of tools and found nothing out of the ordinary. so a tried a few more times to reboot and all i get was a black screen with a blinking cursor AFTER my bios posted… (i also verified data in the bios multiple times)

Whats weird is teh Hirens main screen has an option to load whatever drive is 80h (your first drive)

and if i tried to load through that rather than the blinking cursor i would get a windows screen i have never seen in my life and i have been fixing machine for over a decade (so i thought i’d seen it all lol)

What it was is some kind of message that looks like when you hit F8 for the safe mode boot screen options but it gave me some message about there was an IO error on a USB device and that i should check out my hardware or some useless stuff liek that and then two options restart and cancel both or soemthing and both just made the machine reboot and go back to that screen over and over…

So out came the windows disc.

Startup repair i figured.

…nope lol

No OS detected (i bet it was that 100mb Bitlocker partition corrupted or something)

I tried to launch setup over top of my old windows install and that failed too.

At that point i was done. forget it …time to go get my MAXTOR hard drive :slight_smile:

Install… done… no problems.

So far i have 1 week sector reported in smart monitor software (for WD drive) and i have not done

more extensive scanning… i’m tired of putting my machine out of commision to do 4hr scans over n over!

Only to be back at square one again.

I KNEW it was comin too lol

Now if i could only figure out what i’m going to do to back up my 1TB of data so i can maybe RMA it.

I have an old 120gb WD drive that works better than my new-ish 1TB green drive LOL

and a 220gb Maxtor drive and last time i went through all this i used up most of a 50 pack of DVD’s

burning my data to re-install a failed windows install format (when you get an error while formatting 1 of 3 partitions its like getting a 700gb punch in the face - yeah i got the partition fixed but…)

So yeah i am screwed :frowning:

And NO i would NOT reccomend anyone buy a WD Green drive ever !

Look around this forum and its obvious the thing(the whole line) is garbage !

And i may not bother with WD again either. How many topics do i have to read in here

that have people with new “Green” drives do i have to read where everyone just gets told do an RMA ?

The last one i read the guy had teh drive for 3 days !

And i’m pretty sure my problems started on day 1.

So forgive me if I’m skeptical about PAYING MONEY to send back my drive for a possibly

refurbished GREEN drive so i can probably just go through all of this again right away or in a while.

What’s the likely hood i’m gonna get back a ““working”” Green drive and not have problems ?

Pretty sad and pathetic my Western Digital WD1200JB (that i will need for backup) works better than my fancy new 1TB sata drive !

And the WD1200JB has date code Nov 27 2004 on the sticker …what does that tell ya guys