WD1001FALS (Apple OEM) with ECC errors

Hi all, first time poster here.

I’m about to buy a WD1001FALS drive removed from an older iMac. The seller sent me a screenshot with the SMART data, which you can see below. It’s an OEM drive, with a firmware slightly different than the retail drives. It has an additional “Hardware ECC Recovered” field, similar to the one from other brands. A value of 1 for the Current and Worst entries is as bad as it gets, and the data value is pretty high. The question is: is this field relevant for the health of the drive? Everything else looks fine. Seagate also has an ECC error counter, which just increases without actually meaning anything. Is this the case here?

Also, it seems that this drive has a slightly higher access time than the retail drives, but I don’t care much about that. I’m just curious about the additional SMART field. Thanks.

have you tried getting an official response from Wd?

you can contact them here

http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?wdc_lang=en

exchenge the cable and sata port to a known good one… and see if that continues

if doesnt climb anymore considered it fixed… you should do a mirror of your data if is so much important to you

A fellow from Corporate called and he was very tech smart and helped me track down what the problem was.  He helped me emensly  and I am STILL a big fan of Western digital :slight_smile:  Thanks for the message :slight_smile: