WD hard drive lag spikes

I have a gaming computer setup (Windows7 , Intel-I5-2500K, 8 GB RAM, Sapphire Radeon 7870 with 2 GB RAM) with two drives, a 500 Gb (Samsung SpinPoint F3 Desktop) and a 3 TB (WD Green WD30EZRX) volume/partition.

Both do not hold the W7 OS., which is on separate SSD.

When I run a game from the Samsung 500GB there is no problem

When I run same game from WD 3 TB drive , every few minutes there is lag for 1 or 2 seconds making it impossible to game.

Windows performance monitor  shows average  read speed for the WD drive reaching 100% when lag occurs.

I executed the data lifeguard diagnostics quick/ smart test, it reports the drive is ok.

I swapped sata cable and sata port on motherboard between Samsung-drive and WD-drive, but problem is obviously not on sata port or sata cable ,as lag remains after swap.

Does anyone have the same problem , and how was this solved ?

Hi well the WD green drives are meant to be a storage drive only. They are not meant for raid or a boot drive so they will give slow performance reading and writing like a game would do. Try a WD Black drive if you want your games to run OK. Myself I use a 480 gig ssd as a boot drive and a Raptor as a game drive. The green drives constantly park the heads also they have what is called IntelliPower RPM they may never hit 5400 RPM so definitely not a gaming drive.