WD Red 4TB Advice Please :-)

Hi,

I hope you can help me.

I’ve ordered the following drive but before I install it it would be good to hear your thoughts:

Western Digital Red 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB

I’ve been asked to fit this into a Dell Studio XPS 8100 (i7 / Windows 7 64 bit)

It’s going to be a Storage Drive only (The operating system is on a SSD)

I see the equivalent Seagate models have ‘Disc Wizard’ software so Windows can see the full 4 TB… I’m not sure this would work on this WD Red but I’ve read that if I install the latest Intel Rapid Storage Technology Drivers that Windows will see the full 4 TB.

Like I said, my main concern is performance. About 3 other computers will be Mapped to this new drive but as it’s spinning at 5400 I’m just wondering whether I should have bought something spinning at the faster 7200?

I know that this HDD is optimised for a NAS but I trust this won’t have any detriment in a desktop environment.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Kindest regards,

M

Curlymike wrote:

Hi,

I hope you can help me.

I’ve ordered the following drive but before I install it it would be good to hear your thoughts:

Western Digital Red 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB

I’ve been asked to fit this into a Dell Studio XPS 8100 (i7 / Windows 7 64 bit)

It’s going to be a Storage Drive only (The operating system is on a SSD)

I see the equivalent Seagate models have ‘Disc Wizard’ software so Windows can see the full 4 TB… I’m not sure this would work on this WD Red but I’ve read that if I install the latest Intel Rapid Storage Technology Drivers that Windows will see the full 4 TB.

Like I said, my main concern is performance. About 3 other computers will be Mapped to this new drive but as it’s spinning at 5400 I’m just wondering whether I should have bought something spinning at the faster 7200?

I know that this HDD is optimised for a NAS but I trust this won’t have any detriment in a desktop environment.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Kindest regards,

M

Welcome to the community Curlymike, you should be able to access the 4TB just by initializing the WD Red using the GPT partition style. When formatting the WD Red for the first time follow the steps on the link below and select the GPT option. 

How to initialize or write a signature to a secondary hard drive or Solid State drive in Windows (8, 7, Vista, XP)