WD Caviar Blue WD3200AAJS always generates the "whistle" sound

Hello everybody !

My 1 month-old WD Caviar Blue WD3200AAJS-00L7A0 always generates the “whistle” sound while operating. The sound is pretty loud so that can be heard within 0.5 meter distance. This behaviour has started happening since the first time of use. It is annoying. Though it works well in other things. Is it a  malfunction ? Please give me your opinion.

Thank in advance.

It could be a problem. Download the western digital diagnostic utility from their support site and run a short and extended test. Also, if you can make a backup of all the data you want to keep just in case first. Once you’ve done that I’d give WD a call.

Also, you said “from the first use”. How much has the drive been working? Your main drive in a system you use a few hours a day? Or a backup drive that spins up all the time but only gets accessed occasionally?

1 Like

Thank you for your advice.

I’ve done a backup all my data. I’ll use WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic to run a test and see the result.
My WD3200AAJS has been working for about 120 hours ( 3 - 4 hours a day ). I use it as a secondary internal HDD for data ( not use an enclosure ).
Yes, this drive spins up all the time but only gets accessed occasionally. As I said, it works well in reading, writing, no seeking noise. The annoyance is its loud spinning noise : high frequency tone, going up and down in regular time intervals. This melody leads one to fall asleep.

I’ll do the test after working day.

I get the same problem with the same model. People say that most of  WDs are noisy . :angry:

Me too. My WD has exact issue. I feel I’m a victim of the WD company ads. I work hard to earn money and pay for getting trouble !!!

ttn328 wrote :

“This melody leads one to fall asleep.”

Indeed, you right.

I have tested.

My drive passed the short and extended test, no error. HD Tune also reported that status is OK. In Windows, it works as it should. I noticed, to void an interference, I move my drive out of the case. The noise still persists.

Should I do an RMA ?

Thanks all of you for spending time with me.

Could someone please tell me how my WD status is ?

Thank you.

HD Tune :

Your results sound good unless the strange sound.

For the noise, it may be bad bearings. Using longer is not good.

In my case, I did do an RMA for my WD. ( I faced the same thing as yours ).

1 Like