WD Blue 1TB Ejecting SATA AHCI

As stated above my new WD Blue 1TB drive randomly ejects or disappears from Computer and Disk Management

So far it happened 2 times in a week’s time

I use the drive for storage, my main OS drive is Intel 520 SSD 120GB

The first time it happened I was near my PC and I could hear the drive spinning down but I did not think much of it because I thought a system fan has turned off for some reason, the second time it happened I wasn’t close to my PC

When it happened the first time my PC was idle, well the drive was not in use anyway and I wanted to copy something from my SSD and I realised it’s missing from Computer

I checked my power management settings to make sure Windows didn’t put it to sleep mode to save power but I had that turned off

After restarting my PC the drive was back where it should be and it runs fine, surface test shows no errors, S.M.A.R.T. shows the drive as healthy

My PC specs are:

Asus B85M-G

i5 4440 @3.1GHz

Kingston 8GB DDR3

Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB Windforce

Intel 520 SSD 120GB (Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit)

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB HDD (WD10EZEX)

In case it’s relevant at the time I installed Windows to my SSD I had not yet purchased that WD drive, so I connected it at a later date, week or two

Looking forward to hearing your ideas and suggestions and hopefully I won’t have to send it back to the store

Hi mark2603, welcome to the community. Have you tried using another SATA cable or connecting the hard drive on another SATA port? You can also run a test using DLG to rule out any other problems.

How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows

1 Like

I tested the drive with the software you linked me and it completed successfully, I will run the extended test as soon as I find some free time, also I will replace SATA cable and see if it helps solve the problem

I will update this thread with more news once I do everything mentioned above

Test Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number: WDC WD10EZEX-08M2NA0
Unit Serial Number: WD-[Deleted]
Firmware Number: 01.01A01
Capacity: 1000.20 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: PASS
Test Time: 15:39:30, October 26, 2014

mark2603 wrote:

I tested the drive with the software you linked me and it completed successfully, I will run the extended test as soon as I find some free time, also I will replace SATA cable and see if it helps solve the problem

I will update this thread with more news once I do everything mentioned above

Test Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number: WDC WD10EZEX-08M2NA0
Unit Serial Number: WD-[Deleted]
Firmware Number: 01.01A01
Capacity: 1000.20 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: PASS
Test Time: 15:39:30, October 26, 2014

Good luck :wink:, let us know how it goes. 

UPDATE:

I ran the second test (Extended) and it Passed, I also changed a new SATA cable and plugged it into another SATA port, so far everything seems fine, I will update this thread again if the issue persists :slight_smile:

It seems that the SATA cable was the culprit, everything is running smooth for 36+ hours, no ejects since I changed the cable, thanks for help :slight_smile: