WD Black 1 TB rapid clicking noises

I built a computer about a year ago and installed a WD Black 1TB drive as my primary drive. When I **bleep** noises and clunking noises which  I recognized as the ‘click of death.’ The drive stopped being recognized in my computer and I had to RMA the drive. 

Upon recieving a new drive, it made the same insane rapid clicking noise once I began to install Windows (same OS). Eventually the drive started making a different kind of clunking noise than the previous drive, but also eventually become unrecognized and stopped functioning. I RMAed the drive.

I now have another WD Black 1TB drive as my primary drive. It is making rapid, erratic clicking noises. I don’t know if I should expect it to **bleep** noise so long as it is benign. Is there anything that could be happening with these drives? The problems appeared to be different as noticed in the sounds the first two drives made. I install the drives very delicately and make certain that there could not be any physical problem with them.

Why was my post censored? I actually put a lot of effort into it and didn’t say anything bad or give away personal information…

DaytonOgle wrote:

I built a computer about a year ago and installed a WD Black 1TB drive as my primary drive. When I **bleep** noises and clunking noises which  I recognized as the ‘click of death.’ The drive stopped being recognized in my computer and I had to RMA the drive. 

Upon recieving a new drive, it made the same insane rapid clicking noise once I began to install Windows (same OS). Eventually the drive started making a different kind of clunking noise than the previous drive, but also eventually become unrecognized and stopped functioning. I RMAed the drive.

I now have another WD Black 1TB drive as my primary drive. It is making rapid, erratic clicking noises. I don’t know if I should expect it to **bleep** noise so long as it is benign. Is there anything that could be happening with these drives? The problems appeared to be different as noticed in the sounds the first two drives made. I install the drives very delicately and make certain that there could not be any physical problem with them.

DaytonOgle,

Do you remember what words were censored?

3 times at a row? It seems almost impossible to me… i would re-test tge drive with another power supply

It happened to me before with a 2 tb samsung (before seagate) running on a external enclosure that it did the click of death several times and didnt appear… when i connected directly to my computer it worked just fine… i did a complete backup of the drive thinking that if i turned off computer the drive could fail the next boot… well its passed a year and it is still working just fine in a daily basis… no bad sectors…

Lack of power does that to a drive…