WD 4TB black show 0GB in BIOS

I understand that there are multiple 0GB issues on this forum already, I tried to read all of them, but i don’t understand most of the reply. I really appreciate if someone could help. I will try to be as systematiclly simple as possible

HDD: WD 3.5" Black 4TB WD4001FAEX, purchased today, brand new, plan to use as a non-os internal drive

Problem 1: BIOS can detect HDD name, but 0GB space and nil serial number

Problem 2: BIOS Connection says PATA, even normal SATA cable used (there where no PATA port anyway)

Problem 3: Window Disk Management “Was” able to detect the drive

• The HDD installation went smoothly initially

• HDD was initially showed in Window Disk Management, ask me to initialize the hard drive, follow by a GPT Format

• after formating, the Disk no longer display in Disk Management, hence checking BIOS, that’s when I discovered problem 1 and 2.

What I’ve tried

• use different SATA cable

• tried diffferent SATA port on motherboard (SATA2 and SATA3 port)

• use different power port

• used Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows 1.27, which doesn’t even show the HDD

My System

• Motherboard: Asus P67 Pro

• Window 7 64bit, installed and run in my another 1TB HDD

• all other 3 HDD runs perfectly fine

This HDD is a big investment for me, hence I really want to make it work.

Please help me, I really appreciate your time

Hi the only boards I can find are P8P67 PRO or P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) the first thing we need to do is make sure what one you have and make sure it has the newest bios. Please post back to let us know.

Sorry about the cofusion

My motherboard is actually Asrock P67 Pro

I’ve just updated the BIOS from v1.8 to v2.2

I also downloaded the ASRock 3TB+ Unlocker Utility

both installed succesfully

but BIOS still says my WD HDD 0Gb, window disk management also remain undetecting the Drive

I’m not sure why the BIOS is listing the drive as PATA, it should show as SATA like your other drives are. Have you tried the drive in another computer with support for 4TB drives to make sure that the drive is working properly? Also, do you have the latest drivers for the chipset/controller for your board?

I have the same problem. managed to solve it?

Tried almost everything couldn’t solve it

End up exchange new HDD from the retail store (they are so kind that giving out exchange without hesitation), this time I just split into 2*2TB and everything went smoothly.

Change on WD or other?

exactly the same HDD, WD black 4TB 

just that this time I’m scared, and simply do partition and split into 2* 2TB

And the replacement drive in the BIOS is already visible right capacity? I have 0.0GB and invisible in Windows, this new one is visible in Windows? The disk was freaked out? 

The disk display in BIOS correctly for the second HDD

I checked it in BIOS before getting in window, and the bios reads the HDD correctly this time (hence prove that it’s not compatibility issue)

The first HDD was, as I said disapeared in window and show 0gb in BIOS

Given that it’s identical HDD, I simply assume my first WD black was unfortunately a defected/damage product.

Glad the 2nd one works like charm.

Yeah, sounds like it may have been a defective drive. Sorry that you got an apparently defective one but I’m glad that the replacement is working for you.