Wd 2tb black - wdbaaz0020hnc-nrsn

I have this drive which is like 6 mnths old and now it has developed bad sectors and I am pretty unhappy about it.  generally Retail drives with 5 year warranty are supposed to be better and should have lower failure rate. Now I will RMA this drive , but i will get an re-certfied drive from WD , that makes me even more unhappier.

A drive thats been used for plenty of hours and stuff i can live with the fact that i will get an re-cert in RMA, but giving an recertified drive for few months old drive ? UNFAIR

Do i have any options here ? Can i ask WD to give me a new one instead of a re-certified ?

Hi I am sorry about this but it is not just WD that replaces with the recertified drive that is normal practice for all company’s. I had a fan go on a 500 $ video card had to RMA it the card was 3 weeks old I received a recertified card in return it is 2 years old now and not one problem. One good thing about recertified drives it they run tests on everyone of them before they release them where as new drives only a limited amount are tested for each batch of drives made. You can give WD a call and see what they can do but as I said this is common practice in the PC world.

I understand thats the normal practice, but WD used to give new drives earlier, wonder why did they stop that

chetan_shah wrote:

I understand thats the normal practice, but WD used to give new drives earlier, wonder why did they stop that

WD has always sent out recertified drives. However, if recertified is not available, then a new drive may be shipped instead.