W20EADS not showing up in BIOS

I bought a W20EADS (so a 2TB caviar green drive) about 5 months ago. Since that time it has been operating in a HTPC. The HTPC has not been turned on all the time, the total running time is about 20 days, so 480 hours.

Yesterday all of a sudden it stopped working: HTPC froze and after a reboot the hard drive is not being found.

It takes ages when trying to enter the BIOS. It’s like the motherboard sees that something’s there, tries to connect it but finally gives up and enters BIOS, where no drive is detected.

The drive is spinning after boot and even for some time while in the BIOS. After while it spins down.

I’ve tried to change the data cable and power supply cable (I used the ones from the DVD drive which I know are fine because the DVD works). I also used a different SATA port on the MOBO. Nothing…

Furthermore I connected the drive to my desktop PC: same result. (no drive found and it takes ages to enter BIOS.

Is there anything I can do? Or should I accept the loss and return it?

I have the same problem with my wd20ears, I posted about it here: http://community.wdc.com/t5/Desktop/Problems-with-my-Caviar-Green-2TB-EARS/m-p/65876/highlight/false#M2937

My drive also does the spin up/ spin down thing. I’m wondering if something’s wrong with the power on it? I haven’t had any means to test that, but it’s the same symptoms in any box I put it in, regardless of OS, mobo, wires, etc. so it’s down to the drive :neutral_face:

put your serial number into the warranty check part on the WD support, if its under warranty then RMA it. Most Green drives are 3 yrs warranty.

I already RMA’ed it to the webshop where I bought it. I’m getting a new one.

Still, it’s kind of annoying. It was only 5 months old…