Velociraptor not recognized in Windows 7 install

Hello!

I am having some issues  and I hope you guys can help me.

Asus Sabertooth motherboard

WD Velociraptor 300GB Sata2 on ICH10R controller

WD Black 750GB Sata3 on Marvell controller

I am trying to install Windows 7 64 bits. The thing is I don’t see the Velociraptor HD on windows setup. I do see the disk on BIOS.

I was able to install windows on the 750GB drive and I see the Velociraptor in Windows. I could even format the disk and I didn’t get any errors during the process. The weird thing is I have an identical Velociraptor disk but it is damaged because it has some bad sectors…In order to test my setup I installed the damaged disk and… believe it or not… I can see the disk on windows install.

I don’t know what is going on… Is the first Velociraptor damaged too? The two disk were part of an RAID-0 array before. May be both disk are damaged.

What do you think? Any help would be appreciated

Hi

I do recall seeing someone post here in a similar situation, (not specifically a Velociraptor), and there was some motherboard firmware BIOS upgrade they had to do, to overcome this not seeing the drive. Can’t promise that’s the issue here, but it is probably the most likely explanation.

As to why it works for your other Velociraptor, I’d just put that down to subtle differences between the two, given that this is obviously a subtle problem.

If you do try this, it would be great if you us know if it works or not.

Thanks for the answer… in fact it is working now.

Maybe because the disk was part of a RAID-0 before it had some weird data.

I zeroed the disk using the WD utility and this solved the problem.

Windows is installed now :slight_smile:

Thanks again!