Ultra DMA CRC Error Count

Hello. I have 2 hdd, one of 250gb sata and the other one 1tb WD Caviar Black (WD1001FALS). I’am seeing an error on wd with hd Tune pro 5.00. It says “Ultra DMA CRC Error Count”. I changed cables but still same. What should i do? Thanks.

Mate, backup and replace it.

You mean, this is serious ?

First check that is not a controller/software issue.

In my case i was affected with a kernel bug affecting the pcie_aspm (pci express active state power management), and that affected the sata controller specifically. Each drive will randomly get i/o errors (in the worst case, and other disk error types). Luckily i have lots hdds, 2 wd 1tb blacks and 2 tb green, and some other 500gb blue, so i knew that the disks were ok (i could not have 6 bad hdd just after installing certain os.

Had i have just one drive and i would have replaced it without any doubt. In the end (after a lot of diagnosing work) it was fixed disabling pcie_aspm.

For exapmple

wd black #1:  UDMA_CRC_Error_Count = 159

wd black #2:  UDMA_CRC_Error_Count = 89

wd green #1: UDMA_CRC_Error_Count = 1

wd green #2: UDMA_CRC_Error_Count = 1

I dont have the other drives to check, but they also have non zero UDMA_CRC_Error_Count.

And these errors are almos a year old, since they don’t get reset to zero.

Backups are allways recommended, that is for sure.

Check if the sata data or power cable are loose. What  os are you using. If you just have non-zero UDMA_CRC_Error_Count, then the disk is probably ok. 

In addition, my hdd are:

WD1001FALS-00J7B1   x 2

WD20EARS-00MVWB0 x 2

The issues were experienced with M4N72-E (nforce 750a, i think) and Fedora 13 (Solved since Fedora 15).

windows 7 64bit