Troubles with WD "Recertified" Caviar Blue HD's

Hello All!!! - I am having issues with keeping these types of HD healthy & working, what gives!!!  I have purchased 7 of these WD Caviar Blue HD’s, all IDE & “Recertified” in the past year(all made in 2010) and paid good money for them.  They range from 320GB’s to 500GB’s filled with music & movies, and all have failed within about 5 to 7 weeks - frozen solid.  It’s a good thing I kept backup’s on 4 older WD 320GB’s that were made in 2008, and these are “Recertified” too with no problems what so ever - or I’d be out of luck for sure.  What can I do with these - can I send them in to get fixed, tired of wasting good money for short lived HD’s.  Thanks to all who have read my short book, and have responded as well.        

Do you have all of them connected to a computer or do you use them in a RAID configuration? Just to be sure you can also run a test with DLG to be sure. 

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/940/session/L3RpbWUvMTM1MjA2MzE2NS9zaWQvdDNpTXBzYWw%3D

1 Like

Hello - They were all used in a Cooler Master computer case(HAF X Nvidia Edition) high air flow series, that I bought while working over in England.  That case is in the theater room and in a room off to the side with all the audio, video, gaming & other components that I have, and that room is air conditioned and kept at 72 degrees all the time - so nothing get’s hot or over heats. I did what you suggested with 2 of the 500GB HD’s but to no luck using the WD program, you can slowly spin/twist(like your winding a Seiko Automatic watch) the others and you hear nothing spinning inside. Thanks for your help & for trying and get me out of this jam, I’ll buy only “NEW” from now on - I’ve learned my lesion with seconds, refurb’s or someone else’s turned in HD I guess.