Scorpio drive failure: help diagnosing

A friend’s laptop just died; she reported that she got a message about corrupted Windows files followed by a failure to boot into the OS.  She gave me the laptop and asked to see what I could do;. I confirmed that it does not boot.

The drive in question is a 250GB Scorpio Black (WD2500BEKT).  I pulled it and attached it to my Windows/Linux machine.  It’s not seen in the BIOS and is not seen by either OS (i.e. no sign of it under Windows in “Device Manager”).  I downloaded and ran Data Lifeguard Diagnostics; the drive is not seen by DLD either (not surprising, I guess).  When the drive is powered up I hear what sound to me like the drive seeking a few times, followed by relative silence.

I’m just a software guy, but it sounds to me like the most likely cause is a controller board failure.  Does that make sense?  Is there any way I could relatively easily confirm that?

Hello, if the hard drive is not recognized there is not a lot you can do, you can try buying a board replacement from Ebay, but you need to make sure is for the same model/firmware.