Replacing laptop hard drive

Hi,

I’m trying to replace my laptop’s hard drive with a WD blue drive, as the old drive won’t boot up windows correctly. I want to clone my old drive onto the new one. How do I do this?

I can’t do it once I’ve installed the new drive in my laptop’s only internal bay. I tried connecting both new and old drives to another laptop via external enclosures, and using WD Acronis True Image, but the software won’t recognise the new WD drive. I’m stuck on what to do!

Thanks

There is another package to help you. Register for a free 30 day copy of CBMR at www.cristie.com.

Create the boot CD ROm as per their instructions; then install CBMR on your laptop and burrn your drive image to your CD Writer.

Once done, install the new hard drive and boot of the CBMR disk; start the restore process then tell the restore to look at the media disk you created. You only need the boot disk to load CBMR.

This will restore your old system to the new drive. The software gives you the options of creating the same size disk as your original or restoring your system to the larger capacity.

Hope that helps

Thanks for your reply.

I tried using Clonezilla (with the new WD drive in my laptop and the old drive on USB enclosure), during which there was a problem cloning one of the drive’s partitions. After finishing, the laptop (with new drive) will only boot and go into startup repair, where I found that the “system” partition is corrupt.

My idea now is to create a windows 7 installation cd, format the new drive and install windows 7 on it. Then backup my personal files on the old drive and put them on the new one.

Anyone believe this will work, or have any better ideas?

Thanks

MrMystery wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

I tried using Clonezilla (with the new WD drive in my laptop and the old drive on USB enclosure), during which there was a problem cloning one of the drive’s partitions. After finishing, the laptop (with new drive) will only boot and go into startup repair, where I found that the “system” partition is corrupt.

My idea now is to create a windows 7 installation cd, format the new drive and install windows 7 on it. Then backup my personal files on the old drive and put them on the new one.

Anyone believe this will work, or have any better ideas?

Thanks

Since your original drive was having boot problems a clone can movie this problems to your new system, that is most likely why your new drive has a corrupted partition. Your idea seems like it would be a better solution to your issue. I would recommend doing a write zeros to the new disk if possible, this way it will wipe off all the partitions that were created dring the clone. Then install a fresh copy of Windows. After Windows is fully up and running (I would also recommend all drivers installed and Windows updates) then you can attach your old drive to your system and copy/paste your data to your new install.

Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for DOS

http://support.wd.com/product/download.asp?groupid=606&sid=2&lang=en