Replacement RAID drive

Hi. We have an HP server with 3x WD2500YS 250GB hard drives set up for RAID. One of the drives has failed and the WD2500YS is no longer available. Can anyone suggest a suitable replacement? Thanks.

This is some how tricky since if the new drive needs to have the same firmware and specs as the old one to work in most cases

it will be a matter of trial an error

you can try contacting WD and see if any drive they’ll recommend

Thanks Wizer. I did email WD a couple of days ago but nothing back yet.

Some investigation on drives suggests that those used in Raid setups need a slightly different spec but all the new drives meet or exceed the spec of the WD2500YS anyway, so I would guess that a WD2500AAKX, which seems to be the closest current model, would do the job.

The HP server concerned dates from 2007 and is using a Smart Array E200. I assume that the worst likely situation is that a new drive will not work at optimum performance but otherwise, work OK? Exactly how to measure optimum performance in this case is another matter and maybe in an ideal world, we should replace all 3 drives. However, I will wait and see what HP say but will probably try a WD2500AAKX anyway.