Recommended drive expansion cards that support WD20EURS and WD30EURS

Hello folks,

I have a dvr server that has four sata drives in it and I want to extend that to 8 drives.  They are just being used for straight up storage.  I’m looking for a decent SAS expansion card with true JBOD, that will support some WD20EURS and WD30EURS drives via SATA breakout cables.  Can anyone recommend a drive expansion card (PCIe).

My boss ordered a Adaptec 51245 Raid Card. But it doesn’t recognize the drives.  His bad on checking the compatibility list. 

If anyone has experience with a card that recognizes your WD20EURS and WD30EURS drives.  please pass on that info to me =)

much thanks

mark

Have you tried reducing the SATA link rate via the drive’s OPT1 jumper?

Although not Ideal.  I did try the WD30EURS with the opt1 setting and the drive still wasn’t recognized.  I also update the firmware on the sata card to the latest available.  I didn’t try the WD20EURS with the opt 1, because I’ll need a card that recognizes both drives either way.

Also, we don’t mind spending a bit more if someone knows a card that will allow these drives to run at full speed.  We are using them for storage of DVR data.