Question About WD20EARX Green

1. Does this model Still has a problem with 8 sec head parking limit? 2. Does using Wdidle to change the head park time voids the warranty? The hardware was manufactured on september 2012 Please answer asap or I have to return the hard disk and get another . And only green was available so I bought that instead of other model. And became aware about 8sec problem after I ordered the drive. Thank You

Hi the green drives are meant for storage not to be used as a boot drive. So yes being a green drive green = save energy it parks the heads when idle

This answered the first part of the inquiry; however, not the latter.  

~Does changing the timing void the waaranty of the drive?  

I would like to presume no, as the program originates from WD for this reason; though, for clarity please advise further, presumptions are simply unreliable.  

Regards

ivansword, 

Any clear answer for 2 ?

not as a boot drive ?

not optimal i guess but sorry if your NOT suppose to then WD responisbility is to clarify this

by any means… such as telling anyone they gave a sample to for review.

Such as the product info sent out to Newegg or Tigerdirect or Retailers such as Futureshop.

Or even putting this label on the retailpacking or on the label of the drive…

I have viewed all of these these things i mentioned and there is no word i was doing something

wrong by using my 1TB green drive for a windows 7 install.

Had i know i was doing something wrong with the new drive i bought at a retail store

i would have chosen some other drive to buy instead.

and to answer your Q

i would almost guarantee it has a 8 sec head park time if its labeled Green.

and its really not that big a deal either if you think about it and consider you can NOT

disable the head park time… all you can do is extend it to the max possible for the specific drive.

so i’m guessing that may be 60 seconds for you or maybe even a few minutes max.

And i would also say just go and try it… i bet it would work fine for you… just set it to what you want

but before you finish reload the wdidle tool and see what the exact result is for the value…

because if you set it out of range you will prob just get the available max.

so its good to double check what your handy work actually did :wink:

Hi this is from the WD Green spec pdf. 

WD Green hard drives are tested and recommended for use as secondary storage in PCs, external enclosures and applications that require cool and quiet operation. Desktop drives are not recommended for use in RAID environments. Here is a link to the pdf spec sheet  http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-771438.pdf

Read the Future shop ad where i bought my drive dude.

They get the marketing info to copy and paste onto the web site…

and it says nothing in the slightest advising people NOT to install an OS on it.

On the contrary it says this,

As hard drive capacities increase, the power required to run those drives increases as well. WD Caviar Green drives make it possible for energy-conscious consumers to build systems with higher capacities and the right balance of system performance, ensured reliability, and energy conservation.

Source:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/wd-wd-caviar-green-1tb-3-5-internal-hard-drive-wdbaay0010hnc-nrsn-wdbaay0010hnc-nrsn/10157918.aspx

If this is teh reason my drive is almost dead and plagued with bad sectors

then i feel completly deceived and ripped off deliberatly !

edit:

I notice Newegg says in the description…

Desktop / Consumer RAID Environments

WD Caviar Green Hard Drives are tested and recommended for use in consumer-type RAID applications. (RAID-0 / RAID-1)*

*Business Critical RAID Environments – WD Caviar Green Hard Drives are not recommended for and are not warranted for use in RAID environments utilizing Enterprise HBAs and/or expanders and in multi-bay chassis, as they are not designed for, nor tested in, these specific types of RAID applications. For all Business Critical RAID applications, please consider WD’s Enterprise Hard Drives that are specifically designed with RAID-specific, time-limited error recovery (TLER), are tested extensively in 24x7 RAID applications, and include features like enhanced RAFF technology and thermal extended burn-in testing

Hi well you can believe future shop or you can believe the people that made the drive your choice. It is sort of the same buying a car are you going to believe the sales person or what the car manufacture tells you. Either way there is nothing more for me to say I showed you the specs from WD good luck with your drive.