New WD Red 3TB damaged

Hi all!

Yesterday i have installed a brand new WD Red 3TB hard drive into my NAS (HP microserver, running Windows 7). I formatted it with NTFS, and used GPT as partition table. The disk worked correctly until i’ve stopped the copy process of a file. After a few seconds, the disk disappeared from Computer, and i’is not visibile in Device Manager.

The BIOS is still able to see the disk, so i think the electronic is good. Since i’m not able to see the disk on Windows, I’ve started a live Ubuntu session. Ubuntu is able to see the disk, but is not able to access it. In the following image you can see the error message. The disk wasn’t connected in RAID configuration. Unfortunately i can’t run a chkdsk on windows, since windows doesn’t see the disk anymore. Is there any way to recover the disk?

Hi Davide_sd, since you just purchased this drive, I recommend you to replace it directly at the store. You can also create the replacement order on the WD support page. Check the link below for the steps.

How to get an RMA, (Return Merchandise Authorization) or replace a defective product under warranty 

1 Like

Hi there,

got the same problem, i’m currently submitting an RMA but can someone tell me more about the warranty:

• buy a brand new red 3to the 09/16/2014 => warranty end 09/16/2017

• RMA the disk => will received a used one i guess…

what will be the warranty of the remplacement ? if i check the serial number online, i guess i won’t have 3years warranty ???

thanks in advance for an answer :slight_smile:

Blue99seed

ps: sorry for my english

Hi blue99seed, the remaining warranty will be applied to the replacement drive. Note that all replacements are tested and determined to meet WD’s stringent quality standards before they are shipped. Click on the link below for more information about how the warranty is transferred to the replacement drive.

Warranty on the replacement product is shorter than the warranty on the original product

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1058

1 Like

hi jubei04 :smiley:

i miss that one on the faq! thanks for the reply.

have a nice day

Blue99seed