New Release - WD Black² Dual Drive Firmware Version 5865 (3/19/14)

WD is pleased to announce the release of WD Black² Dual Drive Firmware Version 5865.

Please feel free to post your experiences in this thread.

1 Like

Whoa !!!

With this firmware, my Black² is far, far better than the first version ! The freezing are greatly reduce ! I love it now, before this update, i’ve tought reusing my scorpio black instead.

If you could reduce hard disk drive spinup and spindown more - or made it tweak-able in the installation program (a slider between ractivity and power saving for example), that could be fantastic !

Anyway, many, many thanks for this update ! you should advice any black² user for it !

Great job Bill_S

hi bill since i have my os on the ssd of the black2 my pc boots to fast for me to goto the bios. i have windows 8.1 so i dont know if it is f12 for it or if its another button. but i tried going into bios another way and set the boot usb as the only boot choise and then save and exit out of it. but then my pc just looped into the bios again by itself and if i try to make the boot usb the first choise and the ssd the second it just boots to the ssd. what can i do please reply

fipso wrote:

hi bill since i have my os on the ssd of the black2 my pc boots to fast for me to goto the bios. i have windows 8.1 so i dont know if it is f12 for it or if its another button. but i tried going into bios another way and set the boot usb as the only boot choise and then save and exit out of it. but then my pc just looped into the bios again by itself and if i try to make the boot usb the first choise and the ssd the second it just boots to the ssd. what can i do please reply

It will usually go straight into bios if there is a bad connection or something like memory or the drive that the bios can’t configure on a machine level.  Make sure all your connections are good.  Most of the time, F12 gives you a boot sequence, so you need to press either F2, F1, or Delete. 

I follow every step in the manual of the firmware update, but my laptop won’t boot from the usb-stick.

Any help???

I was able to install the firmware update, but now my games are verry laggy. I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED NOW. CAN YOU FIX THIS OR I WANT MY MONEY BACK. THIS IS NOT HOW YOU PROMISE CUSTOMERS A GOOD PRODUCT!!!

New firmware with same fixes is also required to Scorpio Blue 1TB WD10JPVX Firmware Revision: 01.01A01

Reduced hard disk drive spinup and spindown which addresses drive noise and intermittent freezing/stuttering that some users have experienced.

Scorpio Blue 1TB WD10JPVX has exaclty all this as above problems !!! spinup and spindown like crazy every few seconds, and freeze all apps before spinup.

WD PLEASE FIX IT ALSO WITH NEW FIRMWARE FOR THIS DRIVE.

1 Like

Hi,

I have the same problem with the new firmware : The hard disk “WD Black² Dual drive” freezes intermittently.

This is better than the old firmware, but the problem is still existing…

Is another firmware is planned?

vinz94f. I haven’t saw any plans for a new firmware update other than what has already been released. The firmware should have updated the power saving for the drive. However, your computer’s power saving may still be putting the drive into a sleep mode. If possible, you can try disabling the power saving modes in Windows or possibly in the BIOS, if your system has the options, and see if that may alleviate the issue that you are experiencing.

My black2 beeps inintermittently. Very annoying. Random times doing different things.

I just installed my new WD Black 2 (Dual) drive on my Sony Viao Laptop running Windows 7 Pro x64.

There were some hiccups in the installation and disc cloning processes, but eventually, I got the drive up and running.

I used the laptop for a few days, and performance/speed of WD Black 2 (Dual) drive was great.

The firmware was  01.01A01.

Then, today, I upgraded firmware to  01.01A02 by following instructions provided by WD.

Message displayed stating that firmware upgrade was successful.

I restarted my system, and now the drive speed/performance runs so slow, it takes almost 10 minutes just to boot up.

Verry annoyed!!

I tried rebooting several times.

Tried running Data Lifeguard diagnostics.

Nothing helped.

Has anyone else experienced similar issue of disk I/O slowing down after firmware update?

Is it possible to downgrade firmware back to  01.01A01?

Does WD Support have any suggestions as to how to fix/solve this issue?

Below is a benchmark test of the SSD drive after performing firmware update to  01.01A02.

(Pathetic) 

WD Black 2 Benchmark after upgrade firmware to 01.01A02.png

Installed the drive, no issues, computer booted up pleasantly fast (15s). Installed the new firmware - computer now takes 60s to boot. Most disappointed. Seems to hang for about 50s on the shimmering windows logo on the black background. Any suggestions?

So with the firmware update, is the mechanical drive spun up for more of the time, so average power consumption increases?

What is the behavior of the drive with this new firmware? Does it still spin down soon after being idle for a while, even if the sleep time in windows power management is set to ‘never’? Is there a way to have the drive’s firmware not spin down the drive ever, to just let windows manage it?

Thanks

So what I’ve discovered is that with the mechanical part of the dual drive, before the firmware update, if the drive has been mostly idle, after about 5 seconds of being idle, it would spin down. So if something is doing a small access every 20 seconds, the drive could be spinning up and down many times a minute. With the firmware update, now if it’s idle for about 45 seconds, it’ll spin down.

That’s still pretty aggressive but it saves energy.

With the original firmware, if the drive had been accessed heavily in the recent past, I don’t think it would spin down in the 5-10 seconds like it would if being accessed a little. Haven’t timed it in any more detail than this.

Installed update on my WD Black 2 and now it’s better, but there are still freezes, Like when playing music from HDD and browsing or doing nothing, sometimes song freezes and continues in 1-2 secs, Please fix this problem too

Flash drive boots and says updating and just hangs at that point.

I am having problems in starting MSDOS. I am running windows 8.1. 

The boot USB created using rufus just won’t work any ideas. This constant stuttering is really driving me mad.

Shreyes wrote:

I am having problems in starting MSDOS. I am running windows 8.1. 

The boot USB created using rufus just won’t work any ideas. This constant stuttering is really driving me mad.

Well never mind. Fixed it.

For those with windows 8 or 8.1 who are still not able to boot into MS DOS. What you have to do is. Look for settings in your BIOS which says Boot mode or something similar. You may have options like this ‘UEFI’ and ‘CSM’ or ‘Legacy’.

You must set it to CSM or legacy whichever is shown in your BIOS.

Or some BIOS will simply have CSM option with ‘Enabled’ or ‘Disabled’ in that case enable it.

Then follow the same steps given in the pdf from WD website. You will be done.

WD must really mention these things in the pdf!

By the way the update fixes the spin up spin down and stuttering issues.

I have a dual drive as well but the USB driver does not work. go into computers and then find the USB and I think you will find that there is nothing on it, you will have to go to the WD site to find it