New NTFS internally formatted WD 1TB disk shows as RAW when connected via usb-sata cable externally

I have purchased a new 1 TB WD HDD (internal) and have connected it internally in my PC to my motherboard using the spare power and SATA cables within my PC. (This is the second internal disk ) I booted on the PC (windows 7 (64 bit)) - the new HDD was detected and i continued to format the disk using quick format option with NTFS (allocation cluster size 4096 bytes). I have not made partitions on this and therefore this is essentialy one large 1 TB partition.

I then loaded all the data that i wished to back up from the 3 partitions of my older existing 500 GB disk as the purpose of acquiring the new 1 TB was exactly this. Till now all is fine.

3 days later i wished to transfer some of backed up data files (on my new unpartitioned but formatted new 1 TB disk) to my Toshiba laptop (Win 7 64 bit). So i discconnect the new 1TB disk from the PC and attach it using a USB 2.0 TO SATA/IDE cable to the usb port of my Toshiba laptop. The disk is detected but a message pops up saying that the disk is unformatted and the disk management tool in Windows shows this as a basic disk (RAW).

In case you’d like to know what cable i am referring to - here it is

http://the-gadgeteer.com/2006/03/22/brando_usb_2_0_to_sata_ide_cable/

PS: I have tried formating the disk via the USB cable (as requested by my laptop message) but then when i attach it back as an internal disk in my PC it (the PC) detects it as an unformatted RAW disk (the vice versa problem) and requests me to format the same!

I have used chkdsk /r command on the disk but there are no errors nor any bad sectors revealed

What i want to know is how to make this HDD usable both as an internal disk drive as well an externally connected USB drive? What i am doing wrong?

PS: I have done the same exercise using win XP PC but i get the same problem

May i please request help on this perplexing issue?

Does this make a case for invoking my warranty?

Thanks folks

Chances are this cable will not work with this drive

to repair the raw disk

http://www.easeus.com/resource/repair-raw-disk.htm

try using another enclosure or get and external drive and avoid the hassle