Need to resize 3TB drive in GPT

I mistakenly used MBR instead of GPT on a 3 TB internal hard drive. I have found programs to convert it to GPT, but it still is only recognized as a 2 TB drive since that what is was in the MBR format. Please help, and thank you.

Hi UncleJake, You may need to do a write zeros on the drive and then re-initialize it as GPT and then format it for it to show the full capacity. A write zeros will erase all the data on the drive so make sure that you copy any data off or have a backup before doing that procedure. If you still have problems I would make sure that your system can support a 3TB drive and make sure that you have the latest drivers for your computer.

You can do a write zeros on the drive using our Data Lifeguard Diagnostic program. I included a link below to the software if you don’t have already. The software is listed under our internal drive but it works on externals as well.

DLG Diagnostics for Windows

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=613&sid=3&lang=en

Hi and welcome to the community UncleJake. The remaining space could also be available from the disk management window, you can merge the two partitions or format the second one.

How to access Disk Management in Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8 to manage hard drives

How to partition and format a WD drive on Windows (8, 7, Vista, XP) and Mac OSX