My internal hard disk fails the Digital Data LifeGuard Quick Test but not the Extended Test

I have a WDC WD10EADS-65M2BX internal hard drive on an HP PC that I bought almost 3 years ago.

Just yesterday, the drive failed the HP Hardware Diagnostic SMART Short Self Test, with the error message

The device reported the following status: The previous self-test completed having the read element of the test failed.

The first failing LBA value is 5151062 and the failure occurred after the device had been operating for 3128 power-on hours.

Failed (Error code: HD521-2W)

I downloaded and installed  the Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows 7. 

When I start LifeGuard Diagnostics, the SMART status for the drive is PASS.

When I ran the Extended Test, the drive passed.  (It took all night, and I haven’t run it since).

When I run the Quick Test, I get

06-Quick Test on drive 1 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 97 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 1!

I have already created recovery disks and backed up the drive.

Does this indicate an imminent hard disk failure, or is there some remedy  I could apply?

Thanks

Hi with those errors yes the drive needs to be replaced. Also the drive is only covered by warranty from HP for one year so you will need to buy a drive. The green drives are meant to be storage drives not really a boot drive. I would choose a blue or if you don’t mind a bit of extra cost get a black drive they have a 5 year warranty and are faster. 

OK, thanks for getting back so quickly.