Multiple HD Failures UNHAPPY!

I’ve only once had a drive that wasn’t Western Digital. It was a seagate and I got rid of it cause it was junk and i bought WD drives ever since.  YEARS!  Always… Always recommended Western Digital to all my friends and if I worked on a friends pc, I always recommended replacing their drives with Western Digital drives. Never ever had a problem with them.  That is until now.

I bought 3 wd 500GB blue drives and a 1.5TB Green drive.  2 of the 3 blue drives have died and been replaced and the 1.5TB Green drive died and been replaced. They have all been replaced and now one of the replacement drives have took a dump on me. This has been since May 2012.  I have lost personal photos and family music that can’t be replaced.  Not to mention other photos, documents, music and projects I’ve done.  I emailed them with 1 request… I’d send them 2 of the blue drives and the 1.5TB replacement they sent me that i’ve never used and all i want is a solid state drive big enough to store my data on.  A 500gb solid state drive would be all i need to keep my most precious files safe.  The things that can’t be replaced. (or whats left of them)  You’d t hink that after what I paid for all these drives PLUS what it  has cost me to send them back, this time being the 4th time, They’d honor my request.  Instead, they are sending me a 750GB blue drive to replace the most recent 500 that crapped out on me. Woohoo… NOT!

I am seriously unhappy.

I can tell you this,  unless they honor my request, and soon, I will NEVER and i mean NEVER purchase another Western Digital Drive.  

i think you are right thinking this way…  but please next time upload all your fotos if possible to a web hosting company or dvds :/  its more safe

I’ve thought of that  but I like having my own things under my own care and control.  However, that maybe be an option I’m going to have to consider as much as i don’t want to.

i know that i maybe shouldnt say this… but the drives arent nas stable as before…  its seems that the most stable drives ( at least to me are with more platters and less density…

example

WD5000AAKS -  this drive rocks   old 3 platters design with 500GB capacity   5 years later  no bad sectors and any kind of read erros… just amazing drive … hope that stays this way because i trust that drive with sensitive information ( but im doing a backup to rapidshare with the more important things)

wd20ears with 4 platters 2TB capacity - great drive too but i bit slow… normaly writing reading at 70 MB/s  i dont understand what was WD thinking but at least works everytime for me…   the 3 platters design i saw many complaints about not working anymore

If you have a good spped acessing the web i can give you a tip that for a minimal cost (or even without that) you could save your data on the web…  i dont know if you have upload to do that.  Just discovered this in february

if i was you i would just put the drives asside and begin joining money to save the fotos at least… sorry to say this… i hope i dont have to deal with that kind of situation

good luck my friend

I just bought a monthly subscription to JustCloud.  That in it’sself was an adventure.  I’m trying to buy the monthly and when they billed my debit card they charged me for 2 years.  When I called about that, and explained i just wanted month to month for now, they said ok and voided the charge and then i looked at my bank online and they charged me for a year so i had to call them back yet again.  Now they say they have voided both charges and I have to call them tomorrow to set up the month to month grrrrrrrrr.  No offense intended but a lot of online companies like this are shady.  They don’t think people check their statements.  I checked 5 min after because i’ve had this happen before and good thing i did. In the mean time, I alerted my bank and they are watching.  If it don’t drop off, they will dispute the charges.  Just not my day… shoot not my year!  But been uploading my files to JustCloud all day… maybe i’ll get done eventually haha

I will def check out the drive you are talking about.  I’ve been looking at hybrid drives too.  I really prefer to have my stuff close at hand when i need it and not have to go on the internet  to view my files but times are changing.  I may have to also. :slight_smile:

Take care friend!  Hope your drive keeps rockin on like the drives of old do! 

please PM me… I will give you a cheap option    you should have PM me…

That drive that im talking about is WD5000AAKS SE model from 2007 (performance drive in that time) …

now its fewer platters and more stable i suppose… i have read some complaints about the model of my drive dying without any kind of warning… but my overall experience is good…

WD Corporate called me and they are handling things for me.  I was so impressed with the man that called me.  Helped me out a lot.  I"m not getting the solid state drive i requested but i am getting replacement drives and he gave me some tech support as well.  Right now, i’m very happy with Western Digital and he reaffirmed why i’ve always used and recommended WD drives. :slight_smile:

great job i have already sended you PM asking some details just to compare the service i use :slight_smile:

WD500AKS ???

LOL haha ya right…

Last week a family member mailed me one of those to see if i could save his Documents folder

and that thing is a brick big time. it doesn’t spin up at all and you can hear a loud buzzing noise.

platters are seized and won’t budge i’m pretty sure and when i looked at the pcb magnified

it looks like the drive was burnt with high voltage, there is minor burn markings on 70% of the solder contact points and on the center point where the platter spins (outside of drive)

ANd i’m in a similar position as the OP but i’m afraid you sound like your trying to extort them lol

you can’t threaten them for something better… I doubt it would work anyway :wink:

If it does pm me so i can threaten them for an SSD myself lol

Gimme one or else !!! lol