Install 64-bit WD hard-drive onto 32-bit WIN XP

To the Forum:  Did I make a huge mistake by buying a Caviar Blue 1Tb, 64-bit HD for my Windows XP 32-bit OS?  HD will be used as secondary…just to hold data.  Neither BIOS nor Windows will recognize the new HD.  Any suggestions would be most appreciated.   THANK YOU. - Steve

Hi hard drives are not 64 bit or 32 bit it depends what OS you use if you have 32 bit or 64 bit. Now what motherboard is it, does it only have sata 1.5 gbs speed, if so a sata 6 gbs drive will not work.

1 Like

Hammey thanks for taking the time to write me back.    I stand corrected; below is the new HD I am trying to install internally, as a secondary drive – just to hold data.  (I thought the “64” referred to “bit”…my bad).  My Windows XP OS is 32 bit.  I checked the reference manual for my machine and it says it can handle up to 3.0 Gb/s transfer speed, so I jumpered pins 5 and 6 in order to “lower” the transfer speed down from 6.0 to 3.0 Gb/s.   But still no luck.  Cable and HD are brand new…BIOS doesn’t recognize the HD.   Machine is Dell Optiflex  755 from year 2008, BIOS is the original  from 2007 (should I update it ??)   Mother board is CN-0GM819-13740-79N-06I7.  You gotta help me look good in front of the wife, I’m counting on you   :slight_smile:    Thanks a lot, Steve 

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive 

Hi yes if there is a bios update install it. From what I see there is a critical bios update released in 2011 and a few more before that you only need the latest one it will contain all the fixes. Remember when you update the bios do not shut down the system or suffer a power loss as you can brick the board if it fails. But I would definitely update the bios.

1 Like

Hammey, you really think that the old BIOS is what’s keeping my computer from recognizing the new HD??  

Also, did I do the jumper pins correctly  5 and 6…(to knock the 6 Gb rate down to 3 Gb)?   Thanks again. 

Yes as the bios you are using is very old. Bios updates can include sata drivers and many other updates and your system has had quite a few critical bios updates since you got it. Yes the jumpers are OK but most sata 3 gbs controllers will auto set a sata 6 gbs drive. Like sata 1.5 gbs wont run a sata 6 gbs drive, but sata 3 gbs should have no problem running a sata 6 gbs drive. When there is a critical bios update put out for your system you install it or have someone else do it.

1 Like