Community Manager
Bill_S

Re: Green Caviar: High Load Cycle Count after short operation time

You're welcome.

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Established Member
Boomer78

Bill,

You mentioned that WDidle3 supports the following GP drives:

GP Drives - WD20EADS, WD20EARS, WD15EADS, WD15EARS, WD10EADS, WD10EARS, WD8000AARS, WD7500AADS, WD7500AARS, WD6400AADS, WD6400AARS, WD5000AADS, WD5000AARS

Even though on the link provided it mentions not to use it unless its with an RE2-GP drive.

I want to make sure before I attempt with a WD15EADS that it infact works with it, or is there another version coming out anytime soon that will?

Just being a little cautious here....

Advisor
WD15EARS

Bill_S,

you did ask to read answer 5357, but that aswer has a Linux context and the second link (answer 3263) is just for some drives

if one can use wdidle for the other drives, why is the first link you did name saying:

"CAUTION: Do not attempt to run this software on any hard drives other than what is listed above." ??

This link looks more important than answer 5357 (linux context) and answer 3263 (some drives)

So as long as http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=609&sid=113&lang=en is not edited

I will not use wdiddle for my wd15ears drive in my windows machine

Community Manager
Bill_S

I can understand your hesitations.  And I sympathize.  However, I've talked to several people that have said that it works on those drives.  I understand the KBA focuses on the Linux OS, but it does name those drives, specifically.  

You will need to make sure that you have any and all important data backed up before doing this, because this is a firmware update.  The only other recommendation I can make is for one of you to be the sacrificial lamb and update it to verify that it works.  Otherwise, I have to stand by my posts.

WDEARS,  you do have a good point about updating the KB article.  If you guys want I can see if that can be done before you step off into this.

Bill_S

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Advisor
WD15EARS

Bill_S wrote:  "If you guys want I can see if that can be done before you step off into this."

I think it is harder to find someone who doesn't want you to see if that can be done.

In any case, I would be very pleased and I think it also would be in the interest of WD.

If they won't update, I'm curious for the reasons.

Established Member
Boomer78

Well call me a guinea pig....

I've got good news and bad news.... well the bad news is all mine.

The good news, it works.

I was able to disable the idle timer (or change it)

12i220060437E9F695A

The bad news, it didn't fix my issue of having the OS lag every once in a while for 5-30 seconds.

I'll have to look at it being either software (reinstall Win7) or it being a hardware issue (drive/motherboard).

It was working fine for months, and then all of the sudden it started doing the 'lag' thing.

I've been too lazy to pinpoint exactly how long in duration, or frequency it happens.

S.M.A.R.T. reports nothing wrong, and it looks as if the drives are healthy.

Suggestions?

Community Manager
Bill_S

That's awesome.  I'm still waiting on a response for permission to change the article.

Occasional Visitor
kusakd

Hi,

I've been dealing with the same problem (high load_cycle_count) and I would very appreciate that someone write WD20EARS and other WD Green disc on the list of wdidle3 supported drives!! There is no logical reason why this advice is NOT available from WD Green discs FAQ.

Thank you,

David Kusak

Community Manager
Bill_S

Your drive is on the list for WDIDLE3.  The link below shows that it is. 

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5357

Occasional Visitor
kusakd

Thank you and sorry, I was looking at a different site.

Best regards,

David

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD