Drive sometimes doesn't power up

I have a Dell Dimension 4300 running XP, and added a 500 GB Green Caviar as a second drive. Because the computer came with PATA, I had to buy a PCI controller card (Silicon Graphics) for the WD drive. When I boot, the controller banner always posts, and if everything is working right, a second or two later it displays the drive number, model and size. Sometimes it displays nothing, in which case when the OS is fully booted the drive doesn’t appear. I was getting a clicking noise at boot, returned the drive for replacement, was sent a 1 TB drive by WD; same problem. The Dimension comes with a 250W power supply, which isn’t enough for two drives; mine has a recently installed 480W that has both Molex and SATA cables. Is this is known issue with the drive? How likely is it the problem is the controller?

Hi what sata add on card is it, does it support sata 3 . Also the drive is a advanced format drive so you may have to align the drive. There is no known problem with the green drives failing like that I would look at that controller card and contact them to see it the drive is supported.

Thanks for the tip. The controller is 150 MB/s (Silcon Image 3512 SATARaid). I found the WD knowledgebase article about this and haven’t had a chance to look at the label on my drive – should it support jumpering pins 5-6 to lock in the 150 MB/s rate?

Hi well if the green drive is sata 6gbs you cant make it run on sata 1.5. . If it is sata a sata 3 gbs drive it should jumper to sata 1.5 gbs or the sata controller may do it auto. You just cant use a sata 3 drive on sata 1

I’m on the computer now. Here’s what Device Manager shows for the controller.  If I understand the dialog box correctly, the drive is communicating at 1.5 Gb/s. To me, that suggests it’s a negotiation issue at bootup, which I’m hoping the jumper will solve. Do you agree?

sil3512.jpg

jumpering pins 5-6 to lock in the 150 MB/s

Yes, according to this WD article on “jumper settings”,

jumper pins 5-6 for 150 MB/second:

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/other/2579-001037.pdf

But, I don’t generally buy those WD drives,

so I don’t know for sure if this jumper pair

works the same on your drive.

MRFS

Thanks for the link. I have two questions:

1. I don’t know when SATA III first became available, but I see that document is 2005. I’m wondering if the fastest mode at that time was SATA II. I ask this because the docs I’ve found on WD’s site say a jumper on 5-6 throttles a SATA III drive from 6 Gb/s to 3 Gb/s, and that jumper on a SATA II drive throttles it from 3 Gb/s to 1.5 Gb/s. Do you know if that’s the case? If so, would putting the jumper on help? Or would it force a SATA III to operate at 3 Gb/s, preventing it from being used with a 1.5 Gb/s controller?

2. I’ve read in numerous posts on this site (and even in this thread) that a SATA III drive cannot be used with a SATA I (1.5 Gb/s) controller. I believe my drive is SATA III, and if I understand Device Manager correctly, it is operating at 1.5 Gb/s. Evidently it can negotiate down to that speed. And since I’m using the drive (although its startup behavior is erratic) with a 1.5 Gb/s controller, it cannot be that the two are always incompatible. Do you know of any KnowledgeBase articles that discuss this?

Thanks.