Drive cannot be recognized

I took my WD 3200AAKS drive out of my Desktop and placed it into an external case.  I went to my laptop  and did a quick format on the drive.  There was a small recovery partition on it and the main partion.  I reformatted the drive.  I then took it out of the case and back into the Desktop… The desktop did not recognize the drive.  Nor will the laptop with the drive back into the case.  Is there some software that I can download to restore this drive back to one partition and be used again in an external case.   I have already purchased a new drive for the desktop and am up again…

Thanks for any help

Did you checked if the drive was recognized on the Disk Management window? 

How to access Disk Management in Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8 to manage hard drives 

Disk Management doesn’t recognize it either.   I have the drive in an external case.  When I insert the USB connection,to another computer, it goes through the process of putting in a driver and saying it’s ready to use, but windows explorer nor disk management can see it.   I was hoping that Western Digital would have a disk that could correct this, but I haven’t found any in the downloads section.  I know there must be a way…

It would seem to me that WD would have a disk that could make my disk visable so I could knock down the partitions and then re-format it.  I can’t seem to find anything  on the site.  It was my fault that it got in the condition that it is in now because I didn’t use Disk Management to resize the recovery partition to the full size of the disk.    Would appreciate any thoughts on this by e-mail or posts here.    Thanks in advance

I.m replying to keep this at the top of the pile… hopefully someone will come up with a fix

cworetnav wrote:

I took my WD 3200AAKS drive out of my Desktop and placed it into an external case.  I went to my laptop  and did a quick format on the drive.  There was a small recovery partition on it and the main partion.  I reformatted the drive.  I then took it out of the case and back into the Desktop… The desktop did not recognize the drive.  Nor will the laptop with the drive back into the case.  Is there some software that I can download to restore this drive back to one partition and be used again in an external case.   I have already purchased a new drive for the desktop and am up again…

Thanks for any help

Hi this is the only program I know of to restore the hard drive capacity. I have used it and it works but remember I do not work for WD and am only  trying to help out. http://hddguru.com/software/2007.07.20-HDD-Capacity-Restore-Tool/   give it a try read the instructions please. I hope it all works out well for you.